Terrapin Wake N' Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
Also, simply the Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout since they weren't allowed to put Wake N' Bake on the label.

I want to get a critique on the recipe.

Here is the info from their site:
ABV: 8.6%
IBU: 50
OG: 20.8 Plato (my calculations are not great, so I'm guessing this is around 1.080 ish)
Malt:
2 row
flaked oats
flaked barley
chocolate
black malt
roasted barley
Hops:
chinook
northern brewer

Here is a recipe I pulled from Morebeer's forum:

6 Gallons
OG 1.084 (at 65% due to the high OG)
IBU's 50
SRM 50

17.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.25 lb Oats, Flaked
1.00 lb Black Barley
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt
1.50 oz Chinook [10.70 %] (60 min) Hops 39.0 IBU
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.50 %] (10 min) Hops 11.5 IBU

Spike from Terrapin suggests Wyeast 1272, so I'll stick with that. According to the Sunday Session podcast with Spike, he uses 1lb of ground coffee per BBL in a secondary. I plan to buy the Wake N' Bake blend, which Spike formulated in conjunction with Jittery Joes (a local roaster in Athens).

I mainly want to nail down the recipe. I've only made one stout, so I'm pretty bad at knowing the correct amounts of dark grains.

I have a 5 gal mash tun, so I'll proabably mash 12ish lbs and make up the rest with DME.

Apparently (and this is very different from many coffee stouts are being formulated now) he took the ground beans and put them at the bottom of the secondary and poured the beer over it. Great beer though, let us know how this turns out!

I actually brewed up a version of this a few weeks ago, hoping to keg it today, I swear it said centennial and NB hops when I checked the site. Anyway, this is what I came up with. (FWIW, I have no real experience coming up with clones so I'm probably way off)

wake n bake
Russian Imperial Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 4/4/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Nick
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My AG Setup 5 Gal
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.29 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
4.0 oz Black Malt - 2-Row (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.43 %
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 35.1 IBU
1 Pkgs US-05 (SafAle) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.06 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 76.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 41.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 17.50 lb
Sparge Water: 7.82 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Yeah, it has changed, I copied the site into my notes. Site used to say:

Malt: 2 Row Pale Malt, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt & Roasted Barley.

Hops: Columbus & Northern Brewer.

IBU’s: 75

O.G.: 20.3 P ~1.085

ABV: 7.5%

Apparently (and this is very different from many coffee stouts are being formulated now) he took the ground beans and put them at the bottom of the secondary and poured the beer over it. Great beer though, let us know how this turns out!

I plan to do something similar. I'll probably hang my large tea ball full of ground coffee in the keg for 48 hours instead of transferring to a secondary, then a keg. Less work, less chance of infection or oxidation.

Anyone else have input on the main recipe in the OP? I'm ordering ingredients tonight and just want to make sure nothing is extremely flawed.

is one package of yeast enough?

i just brewed an ipa that started at 1.071 and only pitched one slap pack of wyeast 1187 and from what i now understand, i underpitched.

of course, i also learned i could have used a starter and gotten away with it.......

forgive me if you already knew this.

Oh right. Forgot to mention that I'll be brewing a Maris Otter/Amarillo SMaSH this weekend to propagate yeast for this beast.

What I'm doing is easier (in a sense) than a starter. I'm brewing a 4.5%ish/30ibu beer. If I'm able to keep the hop crud and cold break out of the fermenter, I'll just rack the Imperial Stout on top of the yeast cake

What I'm doing is easier (in a sense) than a starter. I'm brewing a 4.5%ish/30ibu beer. If I'm able to keep the hop crud and cold break out of the fermenter, I'll just rack the Imperial Stout on top of the yeast cake

how long does that have to sit before you can pitch it and how much volume do you use?

maybe if you know a link to some instructions of how to do this, that would be great!

thanks for your time.

i'm very interested to see how this beer turns out. wake n bake is one of my favorite stouts!

I also attempted a heavily coffee'd stout a few months back, but as with all stouts i let it age a few months to come to full maturity before tapping the keg.

My advice would be to not add the coffee until your about ready to drink/bottle. What once had a heavy knock you in the face coffee taste has all but disappeared in about 3 months of aging.

I'm drinking a flat sample right now. Its been brewed for 9 weeks now and tastes great. I'll chill it in another few months and hook it up to C02 to drink.

Back