Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
I got this recipe from a poster over at Morebeer.

6 Gallons
OG 1.084 (at 65% due to the high OG)
IBU's 50
SRM 50

17.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (80%)
1.25 lb Oats, Flaked (6%)
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (5%)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (5%)
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked (3%)
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (1%)
1.50 oz Chinook [10.70 %] (60 min) Hops 39.0 IBU
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.50 %] (10 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
Wyeast 1272

After cold conditioning, add 3-4oz coffee to your secondary aging tank for 48 hours and transfer it off the coffee. Use coarsely ground beans in some type of straining bag.

The grain list and hops are right, according to their website, and the IBU and ABV look right, but can anyone comment or make suggestions on the ratio of the ingredients? How's it look?

Looks like a solid recipe to me. That is the way I like adding coffee as well, 3-4 oz will give you a moderate coffee aroma.

i have not looked at my recipe, but straight from the horses mouth, that looks dead on

Here is my recipe I brewed last year. It won 3rd in the 2009 HBT contest for category 23. Not too sure how close it is to the real thing, as I was living in Cleveland at the time, and couldn't get any to compare my "clone" to.

You definitely have the "dry coffee" bit down correct. I've heard that from Spike on several occasions. They use 1lb/bbl, but I ended up going with .25 lbs for my 5 gallon batch since I was going to age it for a while. If you want to be really close, try to get the Wake N Bake blend from Jittery Joes. That blend was made specifically for the beer. I know you can order it online.

you can get the blend from Terrapin's site or from Jittery Joes as well.

Spike went into a lot of detail about how and why he picked that blend when he chose it. Jittery Joes sent him home with all kinds of coffee and he picked exactly what he wanted to make this beer.

Spike is an excellent brewer... he amazes the **** out of me!

I live in Athens, GA...so a mile down the road I have Jittery Joes :)

i am so jealous... a few miles from the brewery, copper creek, and trapeze... i would be poor if i lived there.. and a bigger drunk than Ort :)

Ort is still around....think he lives at Copper Creek. Damn interesting man to talk to, though!

Fletch, it's busy cold-crashing in the keg as we speak. I'll cold-steep it with coffee in a couple of days then gas it. Should be good to go in two weeks or so!! Cant wait...I expect big things from this guy!

Did you keep notes on your process, temps, gravity? And did you play with the water at all?

I took notes of everything I needed to. Didn't play with the water...according to my information, Terrapin doesnt alter the water for the stout.

A little off topic: did they use the same coffee in Depth Charge? That's a beer I'd like to try to copy. Wow, what a beer!

it is not the same. the depth charge was espresso if i remember correctly.

I've made two beers that used coffee. In both instances I added the coffee with a few minutes left in the boil. That should effectively get rid of anything problematic. I've also heard where people add the coffee when they transfer a beer to the secondary. That should also not be a problem since the intended yeasts have already converted the sugars to alcohol.

Ok, cool. I currently have an Oatmeal Stout in the primary and I was going to add some dark expresso roast to it.

I've got a milk stout in my primary right now. I'm going to try to somewhat clone Depth Charge with it. I picked up an Espresso roast but I also found some Jamaican Blue. the Jamaican Blue isn't as dark as the Espresso roast but it does have a chocolate smell to it. Depth charge was certainly a coffee beer but it didn't bite real hard and that's what I'd like to emulate.

I'm thinking of doing 4oz of Espresso and 4oz of the Jamaican Blue when I transfer this to the secondary. The LHBS suggested using a French press, cold water instead of warm, and a 30min steep.

I might also add 2oz of cocoa when I transfer as well.

Thoughts?

I've had the best luck adding coarse cracked beans to the secondary for 12-24 hours right before bottling. Cold extract works, but you'd need more than 30 minutes in my experience. Adding coffee on the cold side gives you great aromatics without any harsh/acidic flavors you can get from adding brewed coffee or coffee to the boil. Adding the beans to the beer seems to give a longer lasting coffee flavor, where cold brewed seems to fade over a couple months.

8 oz is on the high end, but fine if you want a coffee forward beer. Of course it depends on the beans, freshness, method etc... good luck.

I've had the best luck adding coarse cracked beans to the secondary for 12-24 hours right before bottling. Cold extract works, but you'd need more than 30 minutes in my experience. Adding coffee on the cold side gives you great aromatics without any harsh/acidic flavors you can get from adding brewed coffee or coffee to the boil. Adding the beans to the beer seems to give a longer lasting coffee flavor, where cold brewed seems to fade over a couple months.

8 oz is on the high end, but fine if you want a coffee forward beer. Of course it depends on the beans, freshness, method etc... good luck.

Thanks for the tips. :mug:

I actually did a couple of things with the coffee for my Depth Charge Clone.

1) I used two types of coffee. I used an espresso roast and some Jamaican Blue Mountain. The Jamaican Blue Mountain has very low acid and a great nutty and chocolate smell.
2) I coarse ground (using a burr grinder) 2oz of espresso roast and 2oz of Jamaican Blue Mountain and used luke warm water in a french press. I did each coffee in its own press and let them steep for about an hour. I added this when I transferred the primary to the secondary.
3) I added 2oz of cocoa when I transferred as well.
4) I crushed 2oz of espresso roast and 2oz of Jamaican Blue Mountain in a zip-loc bag with a rolling pin and dumped it into the secondary about 12 hours before bottling (and after 2 weeks in the secondary). I wish I would have used a grain bag or something because the crushed coffee kept getting stuck in my bottling wand. I eventually quit using the bottling wand.

I bottle condition my beer for carbonation. I've only let these sit about a week and a half but have tried two already. To me the flavor is great. It isn't quite Depth Charge but I'll take it. It is very coffee forward but the flavors blend nicely.

with the flaked oats and barely in this recipe does anyone recommend adding some rice hulls? i have swapped out my rectangle cooler with SS braid that had been under preforming with an igloo with a false bottom. this will be the first brew i use with the new mash tun so i am not sure if it will be prone to stuck sparges. if its a possibility i think ill add 1/2 lb of rice hulls just to be safe.

The actual clone recipe for wake n bake was given on Can You Brew It. I don't know of this was the same or not...

Back