Terminal Block Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the terminal blocks, my biggest struggle was finding terminal blocks/bus for low voltage power and ground. Having ~14 devices (sensors, valves, etc.) means lots of these. But I don’t have the space to afford a whole row of din rail TB’s. Anyone know any super space efficient units that are reasonable and easily sourced? I know wago, weidmuller, and Phoenix Contact have these, but the catalogs are a nightmare and they are not easily sourced.

Something fancier than a mini busbar?

https://www.bluesea.com/products/2105/MaxiBus_250A_BusBar_-_Two_5_16in-18_Studs_and_Twelve_#10-24_Screws

Edit; and presumably classier than epoxying a m8 bolt inside the box and wing-nutting all the crimped rings on top ;)

Regarding the terminal blocks, my biggest struggle was finding terminal blocks/bus for low voltage power and ground. Having ~14 devices (sensors, valves, etc.) means lots of these. But I don’t have the space to afford a whole row of din rail TB’s. Anyone know any super space efficient units that are reasonable and easily sourced? I know wago, weidmuller, and Phoenix Contact have these, but the catalogs are a nightmare and they are not easily sourced.

DIN rail mount, or nah?

Phoenix makes a triple-stack block. Each layer passes through, so you can either jumper the three layers, or terminate three different layers of circuits.

Here's a link

They also make bridging clips to connect banks of terminals without impacting the actual terminals.

Last edited:
most of those european compact terminal blocks are rated for two conductors per terminal...but only if using metric sizes (i.e. mm2 vs awg). so if using metric, you can really pack a lot of common potential points into one bock. if using awg, technically limited to only one conductor per terminal.

Wire ferrules are also a nice option to double up wires into a terminal block. Ferrules are available in single and double versions for this purpose.

most of those european compact terminal blocks are rated for two conductors per terminal...but only if using metric sizes (i.e. mm2 vs awg). so if using metric, you can really pack a lot of common potential points into one bock. if using awg, technically limited to only one conductor per terminal.

There is no difference between mm2 and AWG regarding the number of conductors you can fit into a terminal block slot. Phoenix publishes the max. mm2 of conductor section a block is rated for. For AWG, you just convert to mm2, and add to get the total mm2 you would like to use in the block. There is a recommended max. of 4 conductors, and all of the conductor must be concealed by the funnel in the block so that no conductor is exposed outside the block.

Wire ferrules are also a nice option to double up wires into a terminal block. Ferrules are available in single and double versions for this purpose.

At least in the case of Phoenix blocks, ferrules are not required, as the clamping mechanism uses a pressure plate to bear on the conductors. Ferrules are only required when there is a screw bearing directly on the conductor. If you want to use them for aesthetics, I don't know of any reason not to.

There is no difference between mm2 and AWG regarding the number of conductors you can fit into a terminal block slot. Phoenix publishes the max. mm2 of conductor section a block is rated for. For AWG, you just convert to mm2, and add to get the total mm2 you would like to use in the block. There is a recommended max. of 4 conductors, and all of the conductor must be concealed by the funnel in the block so that no conductor is exposed outside the block.

maybe it depends on the manufacturer. phoenix gives a min-max range in mm2 so as long as the awg equivalent is within the range, i suppose it would be okay (it would definitely be okay from a practical standpoint, maybe not letter-of-the-law). but check out those dinkle blocks. they give two sets of connection info, one for iec in mm2 and one for ul in awg. the iec connection information gives guidelines for two conductors per terminal while the ul information does not, implying you can't have more than one conductor on a terminal in a ul application.

ah, standards...:p

Back