Tepache - Tastes/Smells like bandaid/medicine. Good or Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rufio

Reaction score
First time making Tepache and it has a weird bandaid/medicinal taste. Does this mean the batch is bad? I read something about this happening because of the chlorine in the water creating a phenolic taste. Any input would be amazing. I only have seen one comment on this and I'm not sure if I should consume it.

I highly doubt it is dangerous, I think bandaid is a pretty well-known off-flavor as you mention. I have made tepache with water from our tap which is fairly hard and chlorinated and it came out fine. How long did you let the tepache sit and ferment?

I am betting you used chlorinated tap water which caused your phenolic flavor of band aid. I am sure that it is safe to drink but why would you if it tasted like that? I would pour it down the drain and call it a learning experience.

It had been sitting for 2 days. I decided to bottle today and noticed the bandaid flavor after tasting a spoonful. I bottled it and put in the fridge today. I see the most common response is to wait it out and see if the flavor goes away. I may just do that in meantime. Next batch I’ll just need to use filtered water from the store.

I am betting you used chlorinated tap water which caused your phenolic flavor of band aid. I am sure that it is safe to drink but why would you if it tasted like that? I would pour it down the drain and call it a learning experience.
I was mainly concerned with the small amount that I consumed. Probably a couple spoonfuls and a few sips after bottled. I agree with you, though. I'm going to chalk it up as a learning experience if it doesn't go away. Appreciate the input!

It had been sitting for 2 days. I decided to bottle today and noticed the bandaid flavor after tasting a spoonful. I bottled it and put in the fridge today. I see the most common response is to wait it out and see if the flavor goes away. I may just do that in meantime. Next batch I’ll just need to use filtered water from the store.

In 2 days did you have visible fermentation? Mine took about 4 days to "krausen" (really just a bit of foam and effervescence) then I bottled once I let it foam a bit for day.

In 2 days did you have visible fermentation? Mine took about 4 days to "krausen" (really just a bit of foam and effervescence) then I bottled once I let it foam a bit for day.
It had visible fermentation and was definitely effervescent when I tasted it. If you moved past the medicine smell/taste, the effervescence and pineapple flavor together were actually delicious. The only other variant was the containers were sitting on a windowsill in the kitchen, but the window is frosted so its not really getting direct sunlight. It looked like it was actually helping speed up the ferment. I'm going to try another batch next week with filtered water and see if that fixes the issue.

Definitely chlorine/chloromines in the water giving you chlorophenols. Safe to drink but not pleasant. Filtered water from the store will work or get a carbon filter for your tap water or just use campden tablets

Latest posts

Back