Tepache - moldy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDoug

Reaction score
Not sure where tepache fits in to these forums but I'll try here...

I made a batch of tepache, and after fermenting it for a few days, I strained it and put it into an air-locked 1L jar, bottled one bottle and left it to ferment a few days before putting it in the fridge. (The bottle I took out of the fridge was not at all carbonated even though it was still sweet, the air-locked jar is still bubbling. )
At the time of the first bottling I decided to reuse the pineapple by re-topping it with the leftover tepache from the first batch, and some more sugar water. At first it did nothing, then it started bubbling, so after a couple days I bottled it to try to carbonate it.
It was left in a warm spot over night, and the next morning there was this super thick, spongy solid mass floating on the top (looks like a jelly-fish and it is not foam) and there are lots of bubbles but I opened one up and it was only lightly carbonated.
I have made tepache and carbonated it before and it turned out perfectly (tasted a lot like apple cider)... but now I can't seem to recreate it.

Not sure what this is growing on top or how it could have formed so quickly, should I toss this or just strain it before drinking?

IMG_6331.jpg

IMG_6332.jpg

BrewDoug said:
Not sure where tepache fits in to these forums but I'll try here...

I made a batch of tepache, and after fermenting it for a few days, I strained it and put it into an air-locked 1L jar, bottled one bottle and left it to ferment a few days before putting it in the fridge. (The bottle I took out of the fridge was not at all carbonated even though it was still sweet, the air-locked jar is still bubbling. )
At the time of the first bottling I decided to reuse the pineapple by re-topping it with the leftover tepache from the first batch, and some more sugar water. At first it did nothing, then it started bubbling, so after a couple days I bottled it to try to carbonate it.
It was left in a warm spot over night, and the next morning there was this super thick, spongy solid mass floating on the top (looks like a jelly-fish and it is not foam) and there are lots of bubbles but I opened one up and it was only lightly carbonated.
I have made tepache and carbonated it before and it turned out perfectly (tasted a lot like apple cider)... but now I can't seem to recreate it.

Not sure what this is growing on top or how it could have formed so quickly, should I toss this or just strain it before drinking?

Could it be pineapple flesh that floated to the top? I'd strain it out and save the rest.

Remember to sanitize all your equipment including your bottles. There are a few ways but a rinse of a potassium meta bisulfite solution works well for me.

Do you use cultured yeast or do you rely on the wild yeast from the fruit?

It is not pineapple, it was strained before being put into the bottles. Other than hot water and soap we have never sterilized the bottles etc before and never had a problem (traditionally it would be done this way).
The yeast comes from the pineapple rinds.
Just a little strange since the first bottle we bottled didn't do this at all. I'm wondering if it is actually just a lot of yeast all clumped together or something.
I think we will just strain it out like you said and see if it tastes right. Mostly I am curious if anyone has seen anything like that and/or knows what it is.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back