Tentative Recipe - Comments Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrighu

Reaction score
If you've read the "Introduction" I posted, you'll know why I'm here. :D I thought that I'd do something "girly" to sort of make a point.

I thought I'd post this and see what you folks think. It's a modified Hefe with pineapple, ginger, and orange flavor. I picked a Hefe because it's naturally got banana and clove elements that should go really well with flavorings and it's not heavily hopped. I've never done a fruit beer so I'd love feedback on what you think.

6 gallon batch size

Grain Bill ---
1# - 60L (for the carmel flavor)
4# - German Light Wheat
5# - German 2 row Pils

Hops --
.5 oz Cascade at 45 mins
.5 oz Saaz at 5 minutes

Yeast --
Wyeast 3068 fermented at about 63 degrees

Other Stuff
1 pulped pineapple at 10 minutes
1 oz Orange peel at 5 minutes
1 oz fresh ginger at 5 minutes
1 pulped pineapple in secondary
Orange peel and ginger as necessary in secondary

TIA,

Mor.

I'd cut way back (or eliminate) the crystal malt -- you've got enough other stuff going on here -- and go easy on the first ginger addition. Ginger can get pretty overpowering, and if you're thinking of adding some in secondary anyway, you can do it to taste then.

I agree about the 60L crystal, I would eliminate it totally, find your caramel flavor somewhere else, maybe .5 lb munich? I think thats about .5 lb x 25L or so.

I've never made a fruit beer, so can't comment on that. I just wanted to mention that with the grain bill being 1/2 pilsner malt, I'd plan on a 90 minute boil to make sure any DMS is driven off. I don't think corn flavor would mix well in that fruit/spice mix!

Back