Ten Gallon, Keg as a Boil Kettle, 90 Min Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Anybody here brew ten gallons using a converted keg and boiling for 90 minutes?

I batch sparge and add my first runnings to the boil kettle. I then use two sparges. I add what I can to the boil kettle so I have 13.5 gallons in the kettle and bring it to the boil.

Using what is left for the total, around2.5 gallons, I add that to a second pot and begin heating to boil. I want to add that close to boiling wort as I can to my brew kettle when room is available.

My hop schedule of course is to begin at 60 of the 90 minute boil. But as I add to the kettle, the rolling boil drops off.

How does one compensate for these factors? I am finding my first hop additions are in the kettle much longer than intended.

are you just boiling to increase OG?

Generally I wouldnt have that many runnings for a 90 minute boil... maybe 13-14 gallons

are you just boiling to increase OG?

Generally I wouldnt have that many runnings for a 90 minute boil... maybe 13-14 gallons

Beersmith gives me about 13.5 gallons for a ten gallon, 60 minute boil. When increasing to a 90 minute BS provides 15.24 gallons.

I do the cream of 3 crops which is a 90 min boil and start with about 14 gal and I always fill my 2 corney kegs when the whole process is done

I make 10 gallon batches. I usually start with 12 gallons for a 60 minute boil, and 13 gallons for a 90 minute boil. I boil off about 1.5 gallons per hour, but I leave some trub in the BK and I have some losses to my CFC and tubing.

I use fermcap in the boil to help prevent boilovers.

Back