temps for bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will take longer, that's for sure. You could try to make an insulated box and put a light bulb in it for warmth. Shouldn't take more than that to get the temps up.

Gravity and storage temp are the biggest factors in carbonation/conditioning times...Less than seventy severely slows down the yeast...2 degrees may seem like nothing to us, but to micro-organisms that could be like 10.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

If you can get it off the floor, that will help. A piece of styrofoam, wood, etc, under the bottles will keep it warmer. It may not carb up at 60 degrees, though- many ale yeast strains start to go dormant below 62 degrees. I've had that happen- our house is COLD in the winter! I had to take a few and put them ontop the fridge for two weeks so they would carb up.

Thread dig.

So after reading a couple threads, it seems ideal bottle conditioning temp is around 70F. Since I am in central Texas and the weather is warming up, I doubt room temp will be 70F, more like 80F. Will this be bad? I haven't bottled yet (still have a few weeks left in the primary), just thought I would ask beforehand. If this isn't ideal, what would you guys suggest doing? The beer is an English Pale Ale.

Thanks.

No it won't be bad...it may mean your beer is carbed sooner. Some argue that higher temps do affect long term storage. But i've had 80 degree temps during carbing in my loft during the summer, and it's been fine.

i would just get a tub of water to put the carboy/bucket in, add frozen water bottles as needed or drape a wet towel over it for an evaporative cooling effect. the next step would be a dedicated refrigerator, i found a wine chiller on craigslist for 100 bucks.

Back