Tempered Glass Refrigerator Bottom & Cornelius Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

zyx345

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a keg w. Cobra tap and keeping it in my main kitchen refrigerator being that I'm in an apartment and don't have space for a kegerator or mini-fridge.

I realize that I'll lose 1/2 my refrigerator space and will have to readjust the shelves to accomodate the keg.

My main refrigerator has a tempered glass bottom that the keg would rest on. My question is, would this be enough to support a Cornelius keg + 5lb CO2 tank? I'm concerned about the weight possibly shattering the tempered glass.

Liquid is generally 8# per gallon so a 5 gallon batch would be 40+ lbs concentrated into a 9" diameter.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I wouldn't risk it.

Perhaps cut a piece of 1/4-1/2"plywood to support the base.

IMO, resting your keg on a sole piece of 1/8" tempered glass is a big ...NO, NO...IMO.

Cheers!

SGFBeerBuzz

Reaction score
What he said.

If you're renting and the fridge isn't yours, I would take the glass shelf out and put it away and replace it with the plywood.

fartsponge

Reaction score
Well, I've got 5 gallons of bock in a glass carboy resting on the bottom shelf of my fridge. It's also tempered glass, but the carboy does have a little larger diameter. Despite that, I will be pulling out the shelf and replacing it with plywood when I take out the carboy. Tempered glass isn't exactly cheap, so don't risk it if it can be avoided.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my current kegerator I have two 5g cornies sitting on top of the tempered glass bottom. I have been meaning to put a piece of plywood in there, just haven't done it yet. I'm always a bit concerned when I replace kegs on that glass.. But it has worked fine so far. I would be more comfortable with more support. I also try to put the kegs near the plastic cross supports. Eventually I'll put some wood in there.. if only for piece of mind.