Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the yeast, each one has a different temperature range for fermentation. Secondary is not AS important, but should still be kept around room temp. In the bottle it should be kept around 70 degrees if possible.

I'm trying to find out if there is one median temp for everything. I don't have the ability or room to temp control three different areas of my house. So far I've been keeping the room at 68.

I don't think there's a happy medium that will satisfy ales and lagers together...mid to high 60's will get you pretty much ales and you could do some pseudo lager steam type ales....if you really want to do lagers you pretty much have to have a temp controlled fridge...

Ambient temp and wort temp are not the same thing. Fermentation is an exothermic reaction, meaning that it generates heat. If you had your room at 68 during the height of fermentation, your wort could have been as high as 78.

I would keep the room with your fermentors in it in the low 60's if possible, then move your bottles to another closet that is closer to 70. If that is not possible, then do a search for "swamp cooler" and you'll find a cheap and easy way to keep your fermentors 5-7 degrees below ambient temp.

Temperature is most important when related to yeast. Each yeast has it's own optimal range for a cleaner fermentation and a slightly higher temperature for more esters being produced (these may be good or bad extra flavours depending on the desired flavour and style goal).
If you're like most you're probably mainly brewing with s-04, s-05 and nottingham dry yeast which will produce cleanest fermenation around 60F meaning a ambient temperature in the 55-60F is ideal.
For belgians, hefes or to produce more esters you could use a heating pad and blanket wrapped around the carboy.
Your bottles should carb just fine at 60F as well, although another room at 70F would be ideal, they will likely just take a few more days to fully carb in the cooler temperatures.

Back