temperature rising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucepepper

Reaction score
I have a batch in the primary and the temperature for the first three or four days was approximately 67-71. The weather is now getting hotter and the beer temp. is about 72-76. I'm just wondering if I should move the beer to my basement where it will be much cooler, 63-67, or if I should just leave it where it is. I'm planning on racking it to the secondary in two or three days. Any advice?

72+ is pushing the upper range for happy yeast.
One the beer is done fermenting then a cooler temperature is generally better for conditioning and clearing.

I'd say go for the basement.

to all who have no convenient temp. controlled basement. i am sure many of you know this, but placing the carboy in a tub or bucket with water is only half the procedure, often. wrap a towel around the airlock making sure to cover the top of the carboy completely, and let a wicking effect evoporate the water the towel absorbs out of the bucket/tub. this takes with it heat and tends to be a self regulating thermostat. you can take periodic temps and ensure youre on track. also if the bucket is semi-translucent, wrap another towel around the bucket to block light. I am a opponent of fermenting with most ale yeasts above 72 degrees unless it is without-a-doubt desirable.

good luck!

It is nearly 90 here this week... I am so glad that I got my fridge with temp controller... no fuss, no muss... no worry. Craigslist baby, Craigslist!

Pol

Back