Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_s

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Quick question - I have a English Pale Ale using Danstar Ale Yeast Sacccharomyces cerevisiae, which has been on its 3rd day of fermenting. The C02 was bubbling like crazy around the 24hour mark and it has slowed down with the krausen layer pretty much gone. My house unfortunately has been between 75F - 85F without me really noticing. I just checked the weather network and weather outside is between 60F - 79F with lows of 55F. Can I recover from these high temps or should I just let it ride now?

I was thinking of filling a cooler in the garage with water and placing the carboy into it but if the damage is done and recovery will not make a difference - then I will just leave it in its place.

With active fermentation pretty much over, any temperature-related off-flavors have already been created. Nonetheless, I would go ahead and set up your swamp cooler. You'll need it for your next batch, might as well get used to the process now. Freeze some plastic water bottles and swap them in, to keep the water cool. Also, get yourself a temperature strip and attach it to the outside of the carboy (above the water line of your swamp cooler).

BTW, pretty much every yeast you can get to make beer with is "Sacccharomyces cerevisiae". It's like saying "I have a dog, it's a canis familiaris." I'm guessing your yeast was Nottingham, which is good (among many others) for English styles. Starts fast, works hard, could get weird at higher temps. Good luck.

Cheers,

With active fermentation pretty much over, any temperature-related off-flavors have already been created. Nonetheless, I would go ahead and set up your swamp cooler. You'll need it for your next batch, might as well get used to the process now. Freeze some plastic water bottles and swap them in, to keep the water cool. Also, get yourself a temperature strip and attach it to the outside of the carboy (above the water line of your swamp cooler).

BTW, pretty much every yeast you can get to make beer with is "Sacccharomyces cerevisiae". It's like saying "I have a dog, it's a canis familiaris." I'm guessing your yeast was Nottingham, which is good (among many others) for English styles. Starts fast, works hard, could get weird at higher temps. Good luck.

Cheers,

Good information - thank you.

It was my very first brew, only gets better from here.

Definitely drop the temp into the mid 60's if possible. I like to ferment many british ales around 63-64F with a yeast that can handle it. I like 1469 and 1275 myself, but 04 will do well in a pinch. You never know, your off-flavors might be slight and barely noticeable.

Drink up!

70's and 80's just too warm for good ale, you need some way to keep the temp in the low 60's.
For a cheap fermentation chiller, check this video out, you can make one even cheaper and with no fan
or thermostat and it will get you down in the 60's but you'll have to experiment with how much ice. Good Luck, Happy Brewing!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb226sT6qEc[/ame]

Cheers,

What about brettanomyces?

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

What about brettanomyces?

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

I think that the point was that for most brews our yeast will be sacccharomyces cerevisiae but that there are multiple strains like Nottingham or Windsor. The same would be true for dogs so that you might say your dog is canis familiaris which would be truthful but less enlightening than saying it was a pug or a rottweiler. Your Brettanomyces example would be more like comparing Canis familiaris with Canis lupus which are similar but sufficiently different to require a different scientific name.

Back