Temperature probe placement on plate chiller wort out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian81

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the correct placement for a temperature probe on my Therminator plate chiller. Unfortunately, the in/out ports are placed rather strangely and make it difficult to position the chiller itself for easy connecting/disconnecting in/out hoses as well as a temp probe on the "wort out" port. I placed an elbow so that I could see the temp probe's face in it's current position, but this adds some additional piping that the wort has to flow into to fill. I'm not sure if this will give the most exact readings.

Here's a pic (it's not all screwed in tight yet, I was prototyping)

What do you guys think? Would this work or would it skew my readings? The probe is 2" btw.

probe.jpg

So the general consensus is that the way I have it setup currently will not effectively read the temp? The probe should be directly in the line of the flow coming directly out of the plate chiller? I'll try to rework things tonight...thanks for the suggestions. My main concern is getting the temp probe face positioned so I can actually see it!

I was reading mine from a short 2" sensor mounted on a tee to the chiller, but the hard wiring to a PID is becoming cumbersome. I'm about to remove mine from the chiller and put it in line on short a hose.

Am I the only one that gets lousy performance from the Blichmann? I have 60F well water, and it took me over 30 minutes to chill 10.5 gal down to only 74F.

In fact, my CFC outperforms my Blichmann by a mile.

MC

Am I the only one that gets lousy performance from the Blichmann? I have 60F well water, and it took me over 30 minutes to chill 10.5 gal down to only 74F.

In fact, my CFC outperforms my Blichmann by a mile.

MC

I have no issues with my Therminator, but if the source water is warmer it will only cool the wort to a few degrees above the source water. I prefer really cold source water. You could try running the source water through an ice bath first...as a sort of pre-chiller

I have no issues with my Therminator, but if the source water is warmer it will only cool the wort to a few degrees above the source water. I prefer really cold source water. You could try running the source water through an ice bath first...as a sort of pre-chiller

The source water is at 60F, I don't see why I could have any trouble getting down to 70F. My CFC gets it down to 62F.

I'm wondering if the lack of back pressure on the water output might have something to do with it...?

MC

The source water is at 60F, I don't see why I could have any trouble getting down to 70F. My CFC gets it down to 62F.

I'm wondering if the lack of back pressure on the water output might have something to do with it...?

MC

You should be able to get it down to around 62F no problem. And yes, the slower the flow of the water through the chiller, the less effective it will be since they'll be less water in the pathways which means less surface area of cool water to cross with the pathways of the hot wort. Try turning up the flow of the water to maximum, and throttle it back slowly until you find that sweet spot where you have sufficient flow to cool to the maximum the plate chiller will allow.

You should be able to get it down to around 62F no problem. And yes, the slower the flow of the water through the chiller, the less effective it will be since they'll be less water in the pathways which means less surface area of cool water to cross with the pathways of the hot wort. Try turning up the flow of the water to maximum, and throttle it back slowly until you find that sweet spot where you have sufficient flow to cool to the maximum the plate chiller will allow.

I've flowed the water from my well at max capacity and it still doesn't get any lower than 72-73F. The output end of the water hose (on the out side) has almost enough pressure to make the garden hose "dance". Additionally, the water comes out cool for the most part.

By comparison, my CFC's water output would be a moderate flow and the water comes out rather hot.

MC

You should have as good results with the plate chiller as with your CFC, after all a plate chiller is also counterflow. I'd look at the in/out connections, it sounds like a pair of them are swapped and you're coflowing not counterflowing (are those even words?)

With the cooling water flow rate you describe, there should be no problem having the wort output essentially the same temp.

I just had this exact experience and I had my water going in the wrong direction... Just make sure the two inputs are at opposite corners.

I won't forget a second time after going through 40 lbs of ice chilling a 6 gallon batch on a 40 plate chiller...

Back