Temperature Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OblivionsGate

Reaction score
Now that the season is getting colder my furnace has been kicking on and I had a worry that it would raise the temp. in the basement.

When transferring my stout to secondary it tasted very alcoholic, almost (stressing almost) like liquor, could that be because of the increased temperature?

And if it is, that will mellow out with time in secondary, correct?

I swear if that thing ruined beer i'll rip the damn thing out and use the fireplace in the living room for the whole winter! :mad:

What's your carboy/bucket temp during fermentation? What yeast strain?

It MIGHT be fusel alcohols and phenolic compounds (both of which are produced by overly high fermentation temps) that give it that liquor-y taste. But the stuff is still very young, so you can't make any judgments yet.

What's the ambient temp with the furnace on? You might have to do the old water/ice bath trick. Or just let them ferment outside and cover them with a blanket to keep out the light.

I agree with Evan.

Move the fermenters as far away from the furnace as possible. Lay (do not adhere) one of those adhesive thermometers near the fermenter to get a reading. If it's too cold move it closer, too warm, further away. :D

I had one batch of mine get too warm while upstairs, un-airconditioned, in the middle of summer here in Oklahoma. Wayyyyyy too warm and sure enough, it tasted alcoholic. Stuck in the kegerator over night and then back down stairs in the A/C. Asked this question on this forum and most members said it might be OK but you have to give it time. So I did, about 6 weeks, and sure enough, it was good to go after that. Sooooo, I'd be very wary of the temperature and fluctuations.

homebrewer_99 said:
Lay (do not adhere) one of those adhesive thermometers near the fermenter to get a reading.
Sorry if this is off-topic, but can I ask why you say not to adhere an adhesive thermometer?

Danek said:
Sorry if this is off-topic, but can I ask why you say not to adhere an adhesive thermometer?

Folks here said that they don't work as well if they get wet. Also, they are hard to remove. I just scotch tape mine to the side of the fermenters, leaving the backing on the fermometer strip. Works fine.

I need some serious help here!

Backstory: I live in an apartment that's too warm/cramp/bright for HB, so I've been using my parent's basement for fermentation.

I made this thread based off of the taste test when I moved to secondary. Now that I made it back to the parent's place to check out the situation.....ITS BAD

No matter where I check (all different parts of the basement) i'm getting readings anywhere from 72 (against the wall) to 75/77 (just about anywhere else)!

I've got a rather expensive, excited to taste stout in secondary and my first original creation in primary, both of which i'm sure have already suffered the effects of high temp fermentation!

HOW DO I GET THIS UNDER CONTROL? (short of telling my family their house is a f-ing oven [which i have])

Is that temperature reading at floor level? There will be a huge difference from even 4' off the floor compared to floor level.

The best way to control temps without a chest freezer or fridge is a water/ice bath. Get one of those big plastic buckets with the rope handles, typically seen at frat keggers or horse farms. I got mine at the tractor supply co. Put your carboy/bucket in there. Now take some jugs or big soda bottles and fill them with water, and freeze them. Get at least 4 frozen. Put two of them into the bucket with the carboy and add cold tap water until it's near the level of the wort in the bucket. Add/remove the frozen bottles as required to keep the temp around 66-68f.

Wouldn't that make the water too cold? And keeping this water temp at 68, that is only for fermentation correct? Secondary and bottle condition don't need to be at that temp, or do they?

Back