Temperature for aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlowerOn

Reaction score
I was wondering about the temperature needed to age mead. My house is typically around 70°. Is this too hot to age mead? If it is can mead be aged in the fridge? This is my first mead and I'm unsure what it needs.

IME/IMO, it depends on what you're looking for in the aging. I do it in the basement, which used to be in the mid 50's for most of the year. With some different hardware adds in the basement here, that's been elevated to a higher temp. Especially in the summer. But, if you've added oak elements (cubes, staves, spirals) then temperature swings can actually be a good thing. Just like how whiskey is aged where it changes temperature with the seasons, moving in and out of the wood with temperatures.

I bulk age my mead batches as long as possible before it goes into bottles. I have some that were started as far back as 2012 that are still in bulk. I added oak cubes to them almost a year ago now. I plan to pull tasting samples this weekend to see if they're ready for bottling or not.

Temp for ageing assuming fermentation is complete is less critical. Lower is always better but consistent temps are more important. 70 is not ideal but certainly will not hurt.

Back