temperature fluctuations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
Living in Jamaica I went ahead and bought a freezer and temperature controller so I could ferment at a reasonable temperature and have then stored the finished beers in bottles around 65. I've now got a selection of bottles so can get out of the continuous brewing process and drop the temperaturenfor storing as I won't be fermenting for a while.

My question is what effect will it have on the beer if I drop to 50F (or 40?) for storing but then need to let it come up to the high 60s when I next brew (dropping back down once it is bottled)?

It shouldn't really effect it. The only time that it is critical to keep the temperature within the fermentation range is during the first 3 to 7 days of the fermentation process, when there is a layer of krausen.

The rule of thumb is, the cooler you store, the longer your beer lasts. Typically you store just under 70, so as long as you store cooler than that, I dont think fluctuation will matter much.

Are your beers carbonated? If not then you will want to keep them at a higher temp (like 70) for a few weeks before cellaring them.

Back