Temperature fluctuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
How much temperature fluctuation is considered acceptable during fermentation?

I don't have a temperature controlled box so I have to actively monitor fermentation and control temperatures with a box fan and water. For my latest batch fermentation temperatures ranged from 66F-69F. During the day the heat I generate from doing things like cooking, washing dishes, having lights on, etc. seems to be enough to raise everything up a few degrees.

I was wondering what kind of fluctuation everyone else experiences with their brewing setups. Does anyone know what kind of fluctuations a commercial craft brewery would experience? Any tricks for keeping temperatures more stable?

Cheers :mug:

66-69 should be fine for an ale yeast and don't stress about a 3 degree fluctuation. If that's ambient you could be in trouble. If that's your ferm vessel you're fine.

How are you monitoring ferm temps? Most commercial breweries have the ability to control ferm temps very precisely. I would guess +- .5 degrees.

Look up ferm chambers on the boards, that would be the next step.

I am only chiming in here because it will help me to track this thread more easily and I am interested to hear what the minds of this forum have to say about this topic.
I too use rather barbaric methods for maintaining fermentation temperatures and will generally see a 2-3 degree swing though they (the swings) seem to happen rather slowly.
I do maintain temperatures from inside my fermentation vessels and keep to within the ideal range for the yeast strain being used thinking at a minimum that would help.

I can't answer any of your question with facts but do believe your temp flux is insignificant. Fermenting on the cool side, like you're doing well is key

Back