Temperature During Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewbieVet3

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently got about 6 gallons of cider and pitched Red Star Premier Cuvée. Primary fermentation has begun—I had to raise the temperature considerable to about 61 degrees F, though. Looked through the New Cider Maker’s Handbook by Mr. Jolicouer, and didn’t see anything specific as to temperature during primary fermentation. Was thinking of keeping it at around 55 degrees F, but wanted to see what other cider makers have been doing. Secondary fermentation, according to Mr. Jolicouer, is typically about 50 degrees F; anyone going this low for primary, as well? Am worried fermentation might stop if I go too low.

Cheers,

Brewbievet3

Most of my ciders are fermented at 62 - 64 because that's where my basement runs. But to keep the flavors cooler is better.

From Red Star: Temperature range: 45-95 F. Alcohol Tolerance: 18%. It's a little confusing because, best I can tell. Red Star is a brand from Fermentis and goes by another name (I presume outside the US) but a number of sellers of the yeast have the same exact verbiage regarding temperature and ABV tolerance. You should be good in the 50's.

Thanks. It’s at about 55 deg F right now and seems to be doing well. Will keep it there for primary and drop to 50 after first racking and for secondary.

I had good results last year fermenting at cooler temperatures, using Lalvin ICV-D47. I got it started inside, at about 65 degrees, and then moved it outside after a day or so. During primary fermentation, I think temps were in the 50s and 60s during the day, and dipped down lower during the night. It was in a somewhat protected location, so I don't think there was as much temperature swing in the carboy. After fermentation was complete, I just kept it outside and left it alone until bringing it inside sometime in December.

I left in on the lees for another month or two (not by design, just laziness). After racking and sulfiting, I left it for at least a couple more months. Added pectic enzyme to clear it, and maybe racked it one more time before finally bottling late spring.

I was really pleased with how it came out, and plan to make it again this year.

I use wyest 4766. I ferment at 60 then about 7 days in I start raising the temperature 3 degrees per day until I hit 75. Then cold crash and rack.
The yeast is rated for 60-75 and I have a ferment fridge with a tempature controller.

Back