Temperature corrections for altitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twostepct

Reaction score
I'm planning an all grain brew after an 8 year pause. Needless to say I've forgotten my methods. I boil checked my mash tun thermometer and it showed 207.5 at 1800'. I found a correction table that shows 210 at 1000' and 206 at 3000'. I'm guessing I'm about 1 degree on the cool side, or about 208.5 at 1800'? Will that 1 degree difference at boiling be 1 degree at mash temps or would it move toward 1/2 a degree?

Also while I'm at it, after you pre-heat your tun, what temperature loss do you figure adding room temp grain?

Boil test is not the best way to check thermometers, unless you are using RO/DI water. Better to use an ice cath. Just fill a cup with ice cubes, add water just until the ice is covered. Stir and then read while stirring. Boil test is closer to usage temps but the ice bath is more constitent.

Can't help you with how much heat loss when adding grain. I just use BeerSmith. Its free to try.

Bump for beersmith. You can enter in your grain temp and it will calculate what your strike temp should be based on the weight/temp. You can also even input your mashtun type and its temp, and it will correct for that too.

I only use the grain part since my initial experience using the mash-tun part was bad. Perhaps I can't measure the temp of the tun accurately.

I'm planning an all grain brew after an 8 year pause. Needless to say I've forgotten my methods. I boil checked my mash tun thermometer and it showed 207.5 at 1800'. I found a correction table that shows 210 at 1000' and 206 at 3000'. I'm guessing I'm about 1 degree on the cool side, or about 208.5 at 1800'? Will that 1 degree difference at boiling be 1 degree at mash temps or would it move toward 1/2 a degree?

Also while I'm at it, after you pre-heat your tun, what temperature loss do you figure adding room temp grain?

I live at 4000' and haven't had to make too many adjustments. Ice is a better calibrator and has worked for me.

Your second question depends heavily on type of material and thickness of that material. Beersmith does have a nice calculator. Or, you can just try it and see exactly what happens. Have some ice and boiling water on hand if you do my trial by fire method.

Ok guys, sorry for the delay but thanks for the advice!! I have brew pal on my phone and also promash on my laptop. I will do the ice test too, thanks again!!

Back