Quantcast

Temperature Controller

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

uncleben113

Reaction score
I am looking for a temp controller. Brand doesn't necessarily matter but I would like one that can be programmed to heating as well as cooling.

The cheaper the better and local would be a plus but isn't required

Thanks for looking

:rockin:

OP
uncleben113

uncleben113

Reaction score
Both of those look good. I may wait for the review on the ebay one but I found the STC-1000 for $17.49 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am researching right now how to hook them up. I can't imagine it would be hard to set up but I have NO electrical experience.

Edit: I think I am going to go with the STC-1000. I think this will be a cool little project and I just bought my deep freezer yesterday so I am ready to get everything up and running. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
uncleben113

uncleben113

Reaction score
Sweet. I think I have a firm understanding of this whole thing now. This may be a stupid question but how do I know which gauge to use for wire?

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you get the STC-1000, it switches up to a 10 amp load, so 14 gauge stranded will handle that ampacity. You can buy small spools of it at automotive stores.

BTW, keep in mind that the STC-1000 programs and displays in Celsius only. Not a big deal, as it can be programmed to a tenth of a degree C, so you can accurately dial it in to the equivalents of the Fahrenheit temps you want.

Edit: A lot of people like to mount their temp controller in a small project box. You can find them on Amazon for $5-$6, typically about 6"x6"x4" or so. You can mount an ordinary 120V duplex outlet in the box for plugging in the heating/cooling devices. Be sure to break off the jumper link that connects the two outlets, so they are powered independently.

OP
uncleben113

uncleben113

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm still learning. And Celsius is not a problem. I'll print off a chart for easy reference

reefriot

Reaction score
I used a triple remodel gang box from HD as it was deep enough to get the STC-1000 into with wires. I think i had an old extension cord i cut up for power plug and wiring but all parts were under 12 bucks from HD.

OP
uncleben113

uncleben113

Reaction score
I used a triple remodel gang box from HD as it was deep enough to get the STC-1000 into with wires. I think i had an old extension cord i cut up for power plug and wiring but all parts were under 12 bucks from HD.
Nice. I don't know what box I am using but there is a video on youtube explaining the wiring process and I might just use the size that he uses. I think I want two outlets for hot and cold though to give myself the flexibility in the future. Here is the video:

Last edited by a moderator: