Temperature controller question (Ranco/Johnson)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
I got a freezer that I'm going to use for fermentation temperature control and had a question about the controller. In the summer, days can get be around 90F, while nights get down to 50F. Do I need a 2 stage controller with a heatwrap of some sort for when it's below my fermentation temp at night? Or will the freezer insulation keep the inside at my specified temperature through out the night?

Say, it's 85F during the day. I have the controller set for 68F and it's just fine. The temperature drops to 55F at night. Will the heat from the fermentation and the insulation of the freezer keep my fermentation temp at 68F?

I agree it will most likely be just fine and the temperature will not drop but maybe a couple of degrees overnight. I had essentially the same setup at one time with the fridge located outside. You can fill a 2 liter PET bottle with hot water and put it in the fridge if it gets too chilly at night. I've never found it necessary to use a two stage controller. Generally it's either heat or cool and sometimes neither is required as the fridge insulation keeps the temps fairly steady. I use a min/max thermometer to monitor the daily variances.

Back