Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlvc1007

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a pale ale this week. I've seen the temperature needs to be held at around 65. Unfortunately its about 80 or 90 down where I am. We keep the house between 75-80, depending where you are. I was thinking about putting the carboy in a tub of water with a few water bottles full of ice, but I've been having trouble figuring out how much ice I need. I don't want to overdue it and slow it down to a stop. And on that point what's your preference: cool the wert down to fermenting temp and then pitch the yeast, or cool it down enough, say room temp?

Use as many as you can and change them frequently. Unless you own 50 water bottles, you won't screw it up. 5-10 will probably hold temps fairly well. Fermentation is quite exothermic, so you will want to be especially vigilant in the first few days of rigorous activity.

Back