Temperature changes while fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerdentist

Reaction score
I seem to have a range of 68-72 during the day when fermenting. Is this going to result in off/bad flavors? I am making a nut brown ale.

Is that room temperature, or the temperature of the liquid inside the fermenter? My experience is that it takes a very long time for the liquid to change temperature, since it's a pretty big mass. I have those cheap stick-on thermometers on my fermenters, and they're pretty decent at giving you an idea of any temperature changes.

When I am experiencing big temperature swings in my house, I often use a water bath as an insulator. It takes even longer for temperature changes to happen, so it seems to really keep the temperatures stable.

You'll be ok with that for now. As we get nearer to summer though, you will need to looking for a cooler place or finding a method to keep it cooler. Many here put their fermenter in a container of iced water with a T shirt over it to draw the water up. You may need to plan ahead.

The room temp seems be hovering around 70. Yesterday afternoon the temp on the stick-on thermometer was 68. This morning the 72 was beginning to glow and 70 was still glowing.

Back