Temperature Changes in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
I have a question for you all. Here it is, in context:

I brew a batch of Hefeweizen with extract and a 3 gallon boil. I then add some cool water, to get to 5 gallons, and dump it all into the carboy. I shake it like a girl in a rap video (for proper aeration, of course) and take the temp = 76 degrees. This seems grand, so I add the yeast cake from the previous batch of Hef, which was just racked to secondary. All seems swell, no? I come back about 6 hours later and the wort is fermenting "like crazy". Unfortunately, it's worked itself up to ~88 degrees and I start getting p-noid about fusels and whatnot. So I wrap it in a wet towel, and in the next 12 hours or so, it drops down to 68 degrees. Then the ferment slows down and it stops (total of less than a day of action). Hydrometer says 1.023. Joy has ceased. I turn up the temp in the house and get the beer up to 72 degrees, but no return of the bubbles.
So, three questions. One, did I scare the yeast off by the sudden drop in temp? Two, how slowly should one drop the temp in a situation like that? Three, in general, how do you all approach the task of bringing your new wort from the 70-76* range that is suggested for the yeast to begin, to the lower temp at which fermentation should be sustained?

Thanks, dudes.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on this..

but myself and one other person on the board are having the very same reaction due to the very same chain of events..
mine is a hefe but i don't t hink his is..
his: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8691
mine: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8667

Mine is still bubbling, only very slowly.. I'm planning on trying to keep the temp around 68 and just let it ferment out for another week and a half.. (it's been in primary since sat. (4/22) )

Since mine has already been above the ideal fermenting temp i'm gonna try and keep it down low so i don't get any more nanner esters in there..

this isn't really advice.. only what i'm planning on doing..
it should also be worth noting that is is my first brew.

since this is my first brew.. i need to go to the store and buy some more beer cause i've been "relaxing" quite a bit..

cheers! :mug:
ws

Geez, the amount of "relaxing" I do with this hobby keeps me buzzing hard, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I think I might just dump this Hef. It's been messed with too much and now has tiny white dots of scum all over the surface and it smell bad. I probably infected it by interfering.
I've probably only brewed about 15 batches myself, so I'm a beginner as well. Dry yeast, in my experience, works slower but steadier. I've never had a problem with US 56 Safale. It's great for pale ales, cream ales, IPAs, etc. The Hef yeast was a white labs liquid. I don't have much experience with the liquid and I guess I'm learning as I make mistakes...:( It sure smelled good at first...

Thanks for the reply.

the monk

wow, WS. I just went and read your thread and I'm kinda freaked out. Are we related? :) My story's just like yours, and I even posted my dilemma in much the same fashion, with the 3 questions at the end and all. Twilight. Zone.

monk

Monk said:
wow, WS. I just went and read your thread and I'm kinda freaked out. Are we related? :) My story's just like yours, and I even posted my dilemma in much the same fashion, with the 3 questions at the end and all. Twilight. Zone.

monk

yeah.. it was kinda creepy on my end too..
:eek:

Don't pitch your beer..
bottle at least some of it so you'll know in the end what the effects were..

i would say i'd like to know for my own learning purposes.. but since we have the same brew.... hehe

Having another brew....
Will

HB99,
What if the brew is already in the 2ndary? I can't get it to go any lower than 1.020, and it's been at that gravity for almost 2 weeks, despite the addition of some hef yeast cake from another batch? Bottle at 1.020?

Back