Temperature and pH paper strips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
I'm well aware that electronic phmeters are influenced by temperature, but I'm wondering:

If I dip a pH paper strip straight into the mash at 152F, can I expect the thiness of the paper to allow for the wort to be instantly cooled off or is it already too late after a fraction of a second in terms of precision?

Thanks

Last edited:
You still need to test a cooled sample, because the actual chemistry and pH of the mash is different at higher temperatures. Mash pH is referenced at room temperature. So while a paper test strip may not be adversely affected by the higher temperatures, the reading will still be incorrect.

One advantage of test strips is you only need a couple of drops of sample, which will cool almost instantly on a saucer or whatever. The disadvantage of test strips is that they're not terribly accurate or precise anyway.

Back