Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast?

I wouldn't think so. I would think that an oatmeal stout would stand up to any esters produced.

If 68F is the air temp in the fermentation room then YES that would be too high.

I used to have bitter aftertastes with my ales before I realized that the temp inside the fermenter can get up to 8* higher than ambient air temp in the fermentation room!

Since then I keep my fermentation room air temp at 60 for the first 4-5 days and then gradually raise it to 67F for the last 14 days of my fermentation, beer comes out perfect at these temps!

Depends on yeast, but more then likely, no. The yeast kind of dictate what temp to ferment at. Secondly, keep in mind that fermentation creates heat itself, so while the ambient air temp around the carboy maybe 68, inside the carboy, the wort/beer is probably closer to 75-78.

The thermometer on the side of the bucket is reading 68* and I used Wyeast Irish Ale.

Ideal temp range for the Wyeast Irish Ale is 62-72. You factor in that fermentation temp is about 3-6 degrees warmer than the ambient temp, and you probably want to be in the 59-66F ambient temp range.

In my expierence and also a expierement I have used comparing the stick on fermentometers to the actual wort temp using a ss thermowell and a temp logger made by UEI there is about a 1 degee difference between the fermentometer and the center temp reading so if your carboy/buckett is reading 68 it is probably closer to the 69 maybe 70 range. The higher the temp with most yeast the more esters or fruity flavors the yeast will produce. If you go higher than those temps you will start to produce fussels ( hot alcohol ) and alot of esters and you run a higher risk of autolysis as well though I have never seen that or no anyone who has.

Also I keep the fermenter right next to the AC vent. I may just put it directly on it.

Also I keep the fermenter right next to the AC vent

This is probably actually a bad idea. Fluccuations in temp are also bad for a fermentation. You want to keep the temp as stable as possible. With the AC compressor turning on and off throughout the day, putting it by a vent would pretty much ensure undesirable fluccuations in temp.

Back