Temp Variation and Loss of Krausen!!!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Arneba28

Reaction score
Ok so I have 2 batches in primary right now. A light american ale in its 3rd day in primary and a heavy OG Braggot in its 4th day in primary.
SO I go to work today and I hate my job so I love to come home and take a look at my fermentors bubbling away and have a homebrew while I read HBT posts..Sound like a good chill after work ritual right.
Well I get home tonight and my 2 primarys are gone!. my secondary is still sitting there but my damn primarys are gone. What the hell!!! Then I remembered that my one roommate(a female) doesnt like the sound of the bubbling. Apparently she has the hearing of a damn bat and thinks she can hear them bubbling through a wall. So the fermentors are 10ft from a wall and her bed is on the other side of that room so a distance of 20ft and a damn wall.. And she can still hear them!!!Arg. Bull!! So she moved them to the basement. its 15degF cooler in the basement then where I normally ferment. well in the process of her moving them I lost my krausen on the ale and the foamy stuff on the Braggot. I hate this damn girl!! Messy and she messes with my beer stuff.AHHHHHHH!
So they were in the basement upwards of 10 hours. I have since brought them back upstair where its a constant 68deg F. Will I have any problems that the
#1. Krausen was mixed in.
#2. The yeast cake was disturbed.
#3. The temp variation.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :confused:

mrkristofo

Reaction score
1. No.
2. No.
3. Was the basement warmer or colder than 68˚F? If warmer, you might get some fruity-estery flavors (if it was way warmer...like 85˚F...that could probably bring a carboy up to ~75˚F after 10 hours). If it is colder, probably less of an issue for flavors, more for the yeast going dormant, but again we're talking large temperature sways. Either way, if you're in your 3rd or 4th day of fermentation, and you already had high-kraeusen, then you already had the yeast rocking-out to their max, so any off-flavors are going to be minimal because the majority of the fermentation was completed already. You dig?

RDWHAHB

OP
Arneba28

Arneba28

Reaction score
Oh I Dig!!!Thank you. yeah the basement is a solid 12-15deg Cooler. Not great for my yeast. The airlock activity when it was in teh basement was slowed and its starting to pick up again. was worried about it going from 68 to 58(just temped) to 68 all in 10 hours.