Temp Swing: Help me with my plan of attack here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
I need some input on how I should tackle this:

Summary: Pitched @ 63 with intent of raising to 75 over the course of a week for a Belgian Golden Strong. SWMBO did laudry in the basement, raised ambient temps from low 60's to 70, beer in turn was raised to 74 about 36 hours after pitching. This morning beer was back at 63 and not actively visual like you normally see on on a day 3. I roused it over lunch and wrapped in in dry balnkets (was previously in wet towels to cool) so I'm expecting it to be back at 66 by evening. The yeast have ceased vigorous activity like you would normally see this early on but I have a feeling the temp spike helped facilitate a lot of activity as apparent with 1/3rd gallon of blow-off. (My temp controller is single stage, heating only)

Proposed Action: Thinking that I will repitch with the blow off which was a sanitized gallon growler (no sanatizer in it; blowoff setup I have rigged is a closed system.) It's effectively krausening, which eliminates the need to repitch a fresh pack in another starter.

Question: My question is about temp control from this stage forward. Should I raise it back to 71-73 and go from there pitching the blown krausen or should I repitch at the current 65-66 and slowly raise as if it were a fresh pitch?

Proposed Answer: I'm inclined to go middle of the road, raise the temp to 68, repitch there, and aim for 75 by the end of the weekend in approx. 5 days. making sure to rouse the yeast that was left. I'm only pitching the blown krausen as insurance here, optimally, I'd like to get the yeast in the primary out of the temp. swing induced dormancy.

Yeast is Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. I'll update with hydro readings later tonight when I get home.

+1 to checking the gravity before you repitch.

Repitching on a brew that has already fermented out most of the way would not turn out well.

Great news! The gentle rousing over my lunch break was enough to take them out of dormancy! The fermentor looks like the contents are boiling they are so active and it's at 66, gotta love it when everything works out!

Back