Temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donmega

Reaction score
Quick question, currently brewing mangrove jacks Czech Pilsner, used the pilsner beer enhancer in place of sugar and swapped out the kit yeast for a pack of saflager s 23, brew has been slowly bubbling away at 13 degrees, last couple of days it has jumped up to 15.8 degrees.. The rhino fart smell has eased off.. Now for the question !! Will the fluctuation of a couple of degrees harm the brew ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Harm, no. It's certainly best to keep the temperature cool and stable. This will ensure the best possible flavor. With warmer temperatures come increased off flavor producing compounds. Most of these will dissipate as you cold age, or lager your beer. Don't stress out, but try to get it gradually cooled back off...

Thanks heaps, I moved it to another part of the house, temp has reduced 1 degree overnight, forecast is for 1-2 degrees this weekend so will hopefully get it down further.. Cheers

Lagers are all about temperature control. In fact, all beer can benefit from it, but ales ferment closer to room temperatures so they tend to be more forgiving to lack of temperature control. Your lagers will likely be disappointing until you get a spare fridge or other fermentation chamber where you can dial in exact temperatures....

Thanks for that, I have an old fridge in the garage, i will strip it out and see if it will keep a constant temp... All trial and error at this early stage of brewing !! Getting better slowly :)

Thanks for that, I have an old fridge in the garage, i will strip it out and see if it will keep a constant temp... All trial and error at this early stage of brewing !! Getting better slowly :)

MANY have gone before you my friend! Save yourself some heartache and learn as much as you can before firing up the kettle....

Back