Temp/pressure increases when traveling with keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've read up on keg transportation logistics in the past, but haven't found an answer to this specific question. I traveled with a keg for the first time a few months ago. I was in the car for ~4 hours without a good way to keep it cool except keeping it wrapped up. I was concerned about the pressure getting too high as the keg warmed up, so I burped it every 30 minutes or so. Unfortunately the side effect--which I probably should have foreseen--was that I lost a significant amount of carbonation by the time I got it to the destination and cooled down. It was still drinkable but definitely not 100% carbonated.

My question is this: if I'm traveling with a keg and can't keep it cool, is it dangerous to just leave it pressurized/let the pressure build as it warms up? Am I risking getting the pressure too high (all my kegs have the springy pressure relief valves but I don't really want to test that)? The range I'm talking about is where the temperature goes from 40F to 75F over the course of a few hours. Would love some input here

With that kind of temperature gain, the pressure will never get high enough to blow the pressure relief valve. Just be sure to disconnect from the CO2 while transporting. More important, the higher pressure in the keg from warming is not a problem. As long as you have a full keg, the volumes of CO2 in the beer is the same. The small amount of CO2 that moves to the head space before equilibrium is reached is small. Once it's cool again, it will serve the same as it did before.

Back