temp OK for 71B-1112?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I am making a cider with this yeast (71B-1112). This is my first time using a wine yeast and am excited about the potential this has, but have a question regarding the temperature and fermentation activity. I have read that fermenting cider on the cooler side is a good idea, so I have this in the coolest part of my house, where ambient is about 60F. However, this is the lower end of the temperature range given for this yeast. It took a little while to get going and even though fermentation has started, it is really moving slowly - based on airlock and fermenter activity. Maybe I am just used to ale yeasts which, once they get going, seem to really move.

Is this sort of slow activity normal for this yeast (or wine yeasts in general)?

Is the temp too low?

My ideal answer (i.e. what I want to hear :D) goes like this:
"The activity is slow because you are fermenting on the cool side for this yeast, but don't worry this is perfectly fine and will have no ill effects on the outcome of your cider"

I'm open to suggestions if your answer is not that. thanks. :mug:

I'd say basically the activity is slow because you are fermenting on the cool side for this yeast, but don't worry this is perfectly fine and will have no ill effects on the outcome of your cider.

I've been doing more wine/mead than beer lately, and my experience has shown that wine yeast in general have less of a rolling, krausen volcano affect than beer yeast. As long as you continue to be patient, I think you'll be happy with the results.

I'd say basically the activity is slow because you are fermenting on the cool side for this yeast, but don't worry this is perfectly fine and will have no ill effects on the outcome of your cider.

I've been doing more wine/mead than beer lately, and my experience has shown that wine yeast in general have less of a rolling, krausen volcano affect than beer yeast. As long as you continue to be patient, I think you'll be happy with the results.

Wow, you read my mind. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. :D

Thanks

Back