Temp In Hawaii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm really new at the home brew, and havent even received my brew kit yet but i am trying to read and learn as much as possible before i start, i have a couple of questions, first, in Hawaii the temperature varies about 10 degrees from about 75-88 on any normal day, will that have a major effect on what kind of beer i brew? next, does anyone have a good suggestion on what could be a good beer for a novice to start with? i like a good ALE maybe even an IPA thanks

Welcome Brew Jr, first off you will enjoy this hobby as most of us here at Homebrewtalk.com do, actually that's an understatment, addicted is more like it. You have come to the right place and all of us will try to answer any ? you may have. As far as your fist ?. I would start off with either an APA or an IPA. Start with a kit and go from there. I would youse a Yeast that will ferment at a higher temp, but you still might need to cool your fermenter down to even get in the ale range of fermenting temps. 65-70 deg is the norm. Just looking at White Labs their East Coast Ale yeast(WLP008) will work from 65-73 deg. Thier Burton Ale should work good to. You should be able to youse all thier Ale yeast with a liitle control. To Lager you will need a fridge with a temp control. Cheers and welcome to this great site and hobby!

What gabe said sounds good. But, if you want to go with anyother yeast that like cooler temps, look into making a fermentation chiller like some of us have. It can be built for around $100. And, one of your fellow kama aina has one that works great! Before he made that he just put the bucket in a cabinet with a 2 liter bottle of ice and a garbage bag. Worked good too! Good luck with your new addiction......I mean hobby!

Ya after reading up a little more i think i might just get a $100 refrigerator and dedicate that for my fermintation environment, then i would guess i can rule out any natural temp changes and even brew a lager or ale with a temp ajustment inside the refrigerator!

Good idea, because stable temperatures are just as important as the correct range. It's cheap insurance.

Back