temp for bulk conditioning a barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeer

Reaction score
for my last brew of the season i plan on brewing an AG batch at around 1.090 and ibu around 75. i will primary in the basement at about 60-ish degrees ambient for a month and then transfer to a corny for several months. what is the consensus on aging temps? i figure it will condition for 4-5 months in the corny so should i leave it in the basement at 60-65 or bring it upstairs for the summer at 70-75? my gut says basement.

Cellar temps I believe is best. I bulk age high gravs in the basement for 6-9 months in a secondary without issue, as i dont want to tie up keg space for that long. And then usually keg and cold condition for a month-ish before serving.

after the first 3 days you want to increase the temp, this helps the yeast clean up the beer. if you have to age your barlywine for 4+ months then something went wrong... 4-5 weeks from pitching yeast to drink should be plenty for a barlywine.

If those are your two options I would bring it up to the higher temps for a few days or a week to allow the yeast to clean up then back down to the basement for the long haul

Back