Temp drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxford

Reaction score
I'm brewing a blond ale with Wyeast American Ale yeast. I just moved to the secondary and the beer is about 10 degrees cooler than where it was stored in the primary (was 72 now 63). Is this a problem? Its only been about 8 hrs so I'm wondering if I should move it.

Thoughts?

Cool... yeah it was done. I feel a lot better then. What happens to the yeast if it gets too cold? Does it impact the bottling?

63°F will never be "too cold"

that's perfect ferment temperature for the majority of ale yeasts.

for secondary, it would be nice to be even colder, so more yeast will drop out and you will have a clearer beer.

that's one of the reasons for lagering.

I have to use a brew belt to keep my primary at 68 degrees for initial fermentation. After that, I rack into my secondary and then move the brew belt to keep this warm for the same reason. I am a noob but it would be great to be able to use my brew belt on the primary only, this would free up my brew belt to allow a follow up batch sooner.:confused:

Back