Temp drop of dough-in only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
Pardon me for being lazy - I'm usually a searcher and I'm sure there's threads out there on this but I'm loathe to sift through discussions about equipment flash + dough-in temp changes vs. just dough-in temp changes. Besides, everyone likes to talk about beer, right?

We'll be doing our first brew on our RIMS soon. I have some guidance on prior brews on other mash tuns and one brew on this one non-recirculating as far as a temp offset for strike/sparge water from stove to vessel + dough-in...but my goal with the RIMS is to get the strike water close to target temp, let the RIMS work a bit to equalize it out, and then dough-in. Best I can say is for strike water, it was about a 15-16*F difference from stove to mash target temp without pre-soaking vessel...but before, there was a good deal of difference (both initially and finishing) depending on where in the mash tun I measured the temperature.

Anyways...was curious what thoughts were on delta re: a starting target temp of water in the mash tun and target temp of mash after dough-in. I would think room temp & total amt of grain could affect this, but having a RIMS should help with any wiggle room (slightly undershooting being better). Thanks for any ideas!

Blizz,

Here is a formula that I use to determine the temperature of my strike water (honestly, I'm not sure where I found it). It works for me!

Tstrike = (0.24/Mt)*(Tmash-Tgrain)+Tmash

Tstrike is the needed strike temperature.

Mt is mash thickness (quarts of strike water per pound of mashed grain)

Tmash is the desired mash temperature

Tgrain is the temperature of the grain prior to mashing

All temperatures are Fahrenheit.

So, if I was mashing in with 1.5 qt/lb of grain and shooting for 150°F and my grains were at 75°F, the above formula would tell me to heat my strike water to 162°F.

This gets me within a degree pretty much every time.

Back