Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I am about to install my Johnson A419 temp controller. I am curious about probe installation.

Can I drill a small hole in the side of the fridge? It's a Sears/Kenmore 68571 model. Not sure if there is any thing in the side walls other than insulation?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You might be able to lift up the plastic/rubber seal around the top and run the probe under that. That's what I did on my old one and it worked pretty well.

Is it a chest freezer? My chest freezers (a Kenmore and a Whirlpool) have the refrigeration coils in the side, towards the top. Drilled coil = busted fridge. If you're going to drill, I'd drill through the front or top door. However, it should fit just fine through the seal without any drilling.

I have been putting the prob in between the Carboys, wedges between the ridges. For the past 10 or so days the Probe and fermometer readings have been within a degree. Seems like a great set up!

I have an old upright freezer. On the inside walls, there are small round white plastic inserts where the shelves used to pop into. I just drilled through one of those from inside to outside and it worked perfectly, with the hole only very slightly larger than the probe. No leak.

That's cool. I drilled the smallest hole possible for my probe to go through, then sealed it with a dab of silicone caulk. If I ever use that probe elsewhere, the caulk will peel right of the wire and it is keeping things airtight now.

Back