Temp Control

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
I just bought myself an Inkbird. I feel like controlling temps is my next step in improving. Can i use this with a deep freezer instead of a refrigerator? I'm sure it will work, but didn't know if anyone had experience using a chest style deep freezer...
Also, my next brew is a Black IPA kit from Brewers Best. What would you all recommend on fermenting temps?

OP
Brews and Blues

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
Ok the kit has US-05 which i assumed it did, but wanted to make sure. Judging by past threads, it looks like that yeast is pretty forgiving. I definitely want to try out the inkbird though so even though US-05 has a wide range, what do you guys think? 62-65 F?
I have realized over time that the ambient temp of my basement isn't as stable as i thought. It never gets above 70F but after reading how important temp control is on this forum, I feel like this is my next step to improving.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
You need to make sure the Inkbird can handle the amp draw of the freezer. might need a relay between them.

OP
Brews and Blues

Brews and Blues

Reaction score
You need to make sure the Inkbird can handle the amp draw of the freezer. might need a relay between them.
Well **** LOL. I just looked and the inkbird is rated at 10A. I'm not home so not sure what that freezer draws. Online, a typical freezer draws 5A and close to 10A at start up, so i might be good. This is a pretty typical chest freezer so fingers crossed.
Thanks alot for the heads up. I wouldn't have thought of that

odie

Reaction score
no relay needed. I'm running several inkbirds. unless it's on a brew kettle your fine with the standard amperage controllers.