Temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So me and my brew buddy have realized our technics are getting better with every brew. Now our biggest problem from making consistent beer is temp control. So I was wondering what the cheapest and easiest way to achieve different temp control. I would like to be able to any beer at any time of year.

this will be the best thing you ever do for beer

freezer w temp control = 300-350$

cheaper options include
- son of fermentation chamber ($60ish + ~ 4 hours time)
- used freezer w temp control ($200 ish)
- used wine cooler (generally built in thermostat is in the proper range) ($100-$200)

cheapest option is an ice bath

this will be the best thing you ever do for beer

freezer w temp control = 300-350$

cheaper options include
- son of fermentation chamber ($60ish + ~ 4 hours time)
- used freezer w temp control ($200 ish)
- used wine cooler (generally built in thermostat is in the proper range) ($100-$200)

cheapest option is an ice bath

Go the upright freezer route. It's the most versatile, and will allow you to grow with it.

If you're limited in fermentation footprint space try a 4.4 cf minifridge with a separate temperature controller. I have a GE GMR04 that I got off Craigslist for $25 (it took me a LONG time to find one that size that cheap) hooked up to a Johnson Digital Temperature Controller. My 6 gallon Better Bottle JUST fits in the fridge after removing the door shelves (see this thread, but I didn't need to bend the cold plate back) with a blowoff tube going to a growler on the back ledge. It worked very well for the only fermentation I've had a chance to do with it so far, a Scottish Export at 65f.

Here's another enthusiastic vote for a fridge or freezer plugged into a temp controller. I personally like the STC-1000 and have three. Very effective and inexpensive.

It will bring your brewing to the next level.

I have an upright freezer with a temp control for beer storage that I use for bottles and lagering, then a chest freezer w/ TC for fermentation. Super happy with this setup.

If you're looking for consistency like you say, you need a freezer or fridge with a controller. You can get excellent results in several other ways (swamp cooler, soon of a fermentation chiller etc) but of you want to be able to repeat it, you need something that's precise.

So with a chest freezer with t/c can I do a wide range of temps. Also what size should I look for to fit my plastic and glass fermenters

So with a chest freezer with t/c can I do a wide range of temps. Also what size should I look for to fit my plastic and glass fermenters

I have a GE 7-cu.ft chest freezer. It holds two 6-gallon carboys comfortably on the floor of the freezer. With my old fermentation freezer, which was also a GE 7-cu.ft chest freezer (and current keezer) I could fit 3 6-gallon carboys with a bit of stacking because of the collar I had built. I'm sure uprights are nice, but they're generally more expensive.

A little $50 Craigslist chest freezer, 5 cu ft., was the best brewing purchase I've ever made. Plus a $30-$50 thermostat for it.

I use a 5 cu ft freezer, it can handle 2 carboys, (one one the hump, with a collar on the freezer) or my 13 gallon milk can without issue. If you use a dual output controller (like the stc 1000) and add a heat source you'll have the ability to do anything from lagering to high temp berlinerweisse souring. :rockin:

Thanks a lot guys I'm looking on Craig's list right now a couple good things on there

Go big. If you're going to get a freezer, get one that enables 4-6 carboys. Keep it at 50 degrees and have individual stc-1000s controlling heat wraps on each. I use a programmed arduino to regulate and control everything. It really isn't that expensive to do this. And you'll never look back. I went a little crazy and got a 49CF restaurant freezer that I can fit 16 6.5 carboys. For $500, a steal! But it's totally worth it.

Definitely chest freezer + stc-1000 because of the dual temp control (hot & cold). My brand new setup was only ~ $185 and fits 2 carboys easily (not on the hump).
- on sale not too long ago at kmart for $155: http://www.sears.com/kenmore-7-cubic-foot-chest-freezer/p-04618702000P
- stc-1000: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Make sure to check out this amazing thread if you're thinking about a chest freezer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/

Go big. If you're going to get a freezer, get one that enables 4-6 carboys. Keep it at 50 degrees and have individual stc-1000s controlling heat wraps on each. I use a programmed arduino to regulate and control everything. It really isn't that expensive to do this. And you'll never look back. I went a little crazy and got a 49CF restaurant freezer that I can fit 16 6.5 carboys. For $500, a steal! But it's totally worth it.

Huh, never really thought of keeping the temps down and using a heat belt to warm back up. Wouldn't this require two temperature controllers for precision? What's the advantage over a single stc-1000 using small ceramic heater w/ fan? This actually sounds like a perfect solution for cellaring & fermenting in the same chamber! (minus the whole lagering and cold-crashing element ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a mini-fridge for both fermentation and serving. So far I've only used it for my keg. I'll be getting it ready for fermentation in the fall when I want to do a lager using a Johnson Controls controller. This thing fit perfectly in my pantry in a mostly unused space, so it was also wife friendly (it was a present from her too!) and we also use it to store the drinks that used to sit on the floor in that same space, so now even they are cold. I'll need to take out the inside door panel to fit the carboy, although now that I say that I haven't even tried putting it in the way it is. And maybe a bucket would fit on the shelf instead of using a carboy, but I haven't used a bucket in years.

In the meantime I'm making a saison, so no need for cold control, just our hot weather.

So I found a 14 cf chest freezer on cl and I'm picking it up Sunday and in going to get a stc-1000 that seams to be the best choice. My only question is I'm keeping in my basement and in the winter it is around 55-60 down there compared to 70 where it's at now. Is there a way to still ferment in the mid 60's in the freezer in the winter. Do I need to get a fermenter warmer or

If you get the stc-1000, plug the freezer into the cold side, and a small ceramic heater w/ fan in the hot side. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TKDQ5C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can use a heat wrap, but then you need one per fermentor. You can also go the cheap ass route with a paint can/light bulb heater, but something with a fan works better and is probably safer.

Just make sure to use a thermowell to submerge your temp probe in the fermentor, or tape the probe to the outside of the fermentor and insulate from ambient air. Personally I tape the probe & insulate with 2 layers of thick aluminum foil & a zip-up hoodie around the whole carboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use a wireless thermometer and stick in the pocket of the hoodie just to see the temp differences. My last one with s-04 fermented at 63* but the ambient air was 47-49* for the first 3 days. Imagine if it was just sitting in the basement at 72* ambient like I use to!!

So I found a 14 cf chest freezer on cl and I'm picking it up Sunday and in going to get a stc-1000 that seams to be the best choice. My only question is I'm keeping in my basement and in the winter it is around 55-60 down there compared to 70 where it's at now. Is there a way to still ferment in the mid 60's in the freezer in the winter. Do I need to get a fermenter warmer or

The nice thing about the STC-1000 is that it is a truly automatic dual temp controller.

Search DIY paint can fermenter heater. I use that in the dead of winter. Very effective and cheap.

I'm looking at the lasko# 100 personal heater ceramic heater it's only 18 bucks do u think that would work

I'm looking at the lasko# 100 personal heater ceramic heater it's only 18 bucks do u think that would work

So long as it has the type of thermostat that you don't have to manually turn on each time you plug it in, yes.

There are some folks here on HBT that use a ceramic heater plugged into the "warm" outlet of an STC-1000 controller box. It may be the Lasko you are looking at. I'd run a search just to be sure.

Back