Temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
I brewed a porter last weekend and it fermented like crazy for about 4 days at 61° - 62°. However the last day or so my temp has dropped to 59°F as the fermentation has slowed. I raised it a bit with a space heater this morning but was wondering what negative reactions, if any, I might have caused for letting it dip into the high 50's for a couple of days. I used Wyeast London Ale 1028 (advises fermentation at 60° - 70°), and I don't have a thermometer on this bucket yet, I was going by ambient temps. Thanks.

No issues. Your wort was probably in the middle to high end of the range the entire time. Likely the slow was just the end of fermentation. You are totally fine.

Take a gravity reading and see where the beer is at. If it is not at FG yet, then warm things aup a bit and rouse the yeast to get it going again as the temperature drop may have caused the yeast to drop and go dormant with some work left to be done.

If the beer is at FG and tastes good then it's no big deal, leave it to clear for a week or so.

Back