Temp Control Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrasy

Reaction score
I recently picked up a used full size fridge that I want to convert into my fermenting space and make it temp controlled. I see there are a few different ways to do this, morebeer has the thermowell system that works with the thermowrap and I've also heard of people using heating lamps. I'm sure there are other methods out there. Can anyone give me some advice as to which would be the best method to control my temp during fermentation using this fridge? This warm weather days and cold nights are causing too much temp fluctuation for my beer. Thanks!

Get a Ranco or Johnson temperature controller. Essentially, this unit replaces the thermostat on your fridge, which isn't very precise. If you do a search on Ranco, you will see lots of posts come up -- they are a great controller.

If your fridge is going to be in a cold environment (temperature drops below freezing) then you may have to get a two-stage controller (more expensive) and have it control both a cooling device (i.e. fridge) and a heating device (e.g., heat bulb or space heater). My beer fridge is in the garage, so I cool in the summer and heat in the winter.

Otherwise, just get a single-stage controller. Should cost about $30 - $100 bucks, depending on the brand and type.

homebrewer_99 said:
I purchased (via the net) a Ranco ETC 111000 TC last night.

It cost me $47.95 plus 8.90 S&H = $56.85. It should arrive within the week:D

I'll re-look at some freezers later in the week. ;)
That's a good price. I have the same unit and love it. I also have Johnson controller (not digital), and it is OK, just not as convenient.

My next purchase is a freezer for fermentation, too. I just have to find room for it first! :D

FlyGuy said:
That's a good price. I have the same unit and love it. I also have Johnson controller (not digital), and it is OK, just not as convenient.

My next purchase is a freezer for fermentation, too. I just have to find room for it first! :D
I'll have to move a couple of 2X4X8 shelving units in the garage first...:D

FlyGuy said:
If your fridge is going to be in a cold environment (temperature drops below freezing) then you may have to get a two-stage controller (more expensive) and have it control both a cooling device (i.e. fridge) and a heating device (e.g., heat bulb or space heater). My beer fridge is in the garage, so I cool in the summer and heat in the winter.
My fridge will be in my garage too. Does anyone have any experience with the Thermowell system? It looks pretty nice but kinda expensive.

Latest posts

Back