Temp Contoller and Freezer settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Hi Everyone..I finally got my lager chest freezer all set up and was searching for what everyone keeps the freezer settings at? I have the Johnson temp controller which I heard is nice and wanted to see how most control it and if they just put the freezer on max? or does it matter. I would assume it it is on max it will run for shorter intervals..??

Thanks for input or links to input

Jay

I have the Johnson Analog, I have the Freezer set on the Highest setting and the Temp to what Ever I want on the Contoller. If you leave the freezer on the highest setting it will cool down a lot faster when the Controller kicks it on.

discgolfin said:
Thanks..anything other than temp. that u changed on the conroller? How about range?

Thanks, Jay

Im not sure what your talking about on the range question, I just set it at a temp and leave it, Mine might be diffrent then yours. Do you have a digital?

RICLARK said:
Im not sure what your talking about on the range question, I just set it at a temp and leave it, Mine might be diffrent then yours. Do you have a digital?

Yest its a digital..and it has a setting that will kick it on it the temp is below a certain number..mind you I have not played with it much but for example if I want 50 degrees..than I can say kick temp on at 53..hope this makes some sense..other wise I would leave it at 1 degrees but it will kick on and off may to much

jay

The freezer's stock thermostat is probably adjustable only from -10F to 20F so it really doesn't matter where its set because it will always try cooling lower than your external controller's set temp. Don't even worry about it.

You're thinking of the offset on the controller? I think 2F would be a reasonable and bonus points for taping the temp sensor to the side of your fermenter.

I set the range on my Ranco digital controller at 5 degrees. I wrapped the probe in some paper towels and taped a zip lock bag over it to protect from moisture.

so I guess the freezer temp varies but the mass of the kegs stays pretty constant.

I was fearful of setting the range too tight and having the freezer cycle to often.

Mike

depends on what you want to do. For fermenting a lager, most lager yeasts require around 48 - 58 degrees. I set mine to 58, pitch the yeast, wait 12 hours then set to 49 +/- 1. For cold conditioning most set it to 33 degrees +/- 1. I put my ranco probe in a 2 liter pop bottle full of water. The probe is water proof so no need to wrap it. Taping it to the fermentor, then covering with foam will give the best temp control of your fermenting beer. I have numberous carboys in there at a time so the 2 liter bottle gets everything close to the set temp. Just don't let the water freeze.

Linc

To ferment an ale at 68º I set the cutpoint on my Ranco controller to 67º with a 2º differential. That is, the freezer turns on when the temp hits 69º and turns off when the temp hits 67º. I tape the temp probe to the side of the carboy and insulate it with a layer or two of bubble wrap.

The freezer works pretty hard during main fermentation, but quickly equilibrates once fermentation tapers off.

I used the method for mounting the probe shown in this kegerator thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19596&highlight=4912
I drilled a hole in the WLP yeast tube cap, filled the tube with the gel from a gel cold pac and then sealed the cable into the cap with RTV. I'm about to do another and realized a glycerine filler will work well also. It won't freeze solid and adds a little thermal inertia to the temperature control loop.

Yeah, that's a nice way to buffer the probe from quick temp changes when you're messing around in there but if you're doing this for a fermentation control cabinet, you'll want the probe a little more in tune with the fermenter's temp. That's where taping to the fermenter benefits.

I have the Johnson Controls digital and put the probe in a gallon of water, It didn't say submersible but I thought most were, I HOPE. The reading on the controller matches the stick on thermo on the carboy perfectly.

As long as the beer isn't actively fermenting it's not going to generate its own heat.

However, if you have a jar sitting in there with the temp probe in it and a carboy that you just pitched yeast into 24 hours ago. If the controller says 68F, the wort that's chugging along is probably more like 75F. Fermentation is quite exothermic.

Back