temp and cider fermentation question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

baddagger

Reaction score
hey all just wondering right now im on batch 2 & 3 of making hard cider got a 5 gallon and a 6 gallon going on right now, the cider has been sitting in the carboys sense the begging/middle of december, was able to get my hands on the last of my local apple farms fresh cider

but anyways back to my question, they been sitting sense begging/middle of december and i still see air bubbles comming up, so i assume its still going threw fermentation, but i live in new england and it is now starting to get cold out and i see that the temp on carboys are about 60-62ish .. now is that too cold for cider? or is that going to cause it to realy slow down in fermentation speed? i used two differnt yeast White Labs English Cider and Safale S-04

Pickled_Pepper

Reaction score
I think the safale might still be ok, but it seems you are well below the range of the WL. What are the specific gravities of each of them right now?

dinnerstick

Reaction score
i can't exactly answer your question but will point out that ciders, wines etc can release gas bubbles for a while after fermentation has finished, as they degas; they are saturated with CO2 and it slowly bubbles out. doesn't mean they are or aren't done, only a gravity reading can tell you that.

OP
B

baddagger

Reaction score
well i just moved the ciders to a nother part of the house.. i am goign to let them sit for a nother week or two for ageing(and i will take a gravit reading), so the yeast cam to do its work, then i will move them to a keg to age...

Latest posts