Temagami Portaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
We are canoeing 8 hours away from where the nearest motorboat is allowed so the fishing is going to be awesome. Its a very strange feeling to know that in 8 hours the only stuff I will have for a week is what I schlep in on my back.

That being said, we are not paddling hard every day. Long trip in, set up base camp, a litte adventuring, then a long trip out.

A few guys think they are bringing up 2 x 24s. Not in my canoe. I don't think they realize that 2 x 24s is going to take up most of the canoe space which means this - Beer or Gear.

What would you do? Beer? or tent/clothes/food? Lets find out just how hardcore you all are.

I'm just bringing up 6 tall cans (maibocks) and a 40 of rye. :cool:

It is going to be an awesome trip, I think. See y'all later.

My assistant has been up in Temagami for the past week, and will be there this week. Her famiy has a cabin, and they go for two weeks every summer. I think they take whiskey with them. Padling, portage, yeah the whole clambake.
They have been doing it for years, and AFAIK they go with the gear and not the beer.

You could consder carrying a corney...

Been in the same situation many times. If there is a lot of portaging, no beer. If there isn't much portaging and we have the large canoes we bring cans, not bottles - but even then we don't bring much. I ALWAYS bring a few cans of the good stuff for cooking up those shore-side lunches though. :)

I think times like this call for a couple bottles of decent whiskey. Saves you space and no need to keep cold.

Right now I'm just so anxious to get going it is unbelievable. I've stopped going over -whatdoineedwhatdoineed- because I'm quite sure I've got everything...but we shall see. I've got a brew that could be bottled but I'm not gonna do it. It can wait till I get back.

We've got good variety on the beverage side though - sake, soju, whiskey, wiskey, beer. I got a few creature comforts too - iced tea powder, green tea, dates, chicken soup powder. Really a million powders etc. Bulk Barn is AWESOME!

I'm the only one bringing up *any* good beer brad. The rest is coors light and lakeport and old milly.

I hit up the duty free awhile back - jerky and whiskey :)

I;ve got a crappy little telescopic fishing rod that has served me well in the past - my motto: don't bring anything you don't want destroyed.

Here's a fun thing - got a disposable harmonica for annoying people in a passive aggressive manner.

Re: keeping the beer cold - just the lake should do vey nicely I suspect. But yeah, it's gonna be a whiskey week I think.

Gonna go for some frogs legs too *slurp* OH! Gotta remember garlic.

I'm rambling, as I'm sure you can tell!

Anyone got anything they brought on a similar trip thta they were really glad to have?

I almost always bring a small folding saw with me when I go into Canada to canoe. It has come in handy WAY too many times. And a GOOD set of binoculars will always be appreciated weather it is checking out that bear or catching some time in the night sky!

Gorp = done. Lots of cashews and cranberrys :)
Plastic - too late. Good idea, but I will just have to take my chances. EDIT: I could put it in a few plastic watter bottles...but usn't it bad to leave them in there for awhile?

I might just have some binoculars lying around. Good call.

Thanks folks. Any more good ideas?

Wow.

What a trip. We found our own private island, with no lights of any kind in the visible distance. Caught a 10# walleye and a whole bunch of bass. Mist, trees, rocks, not a single person other than my group for 5 days. Wolves, deer, loons.

I am nicely tanned, exhausted and had one helluva return party in North Bay. Anyone familiar with "The Boat"?

Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't done it.

Back