Telling my flaked oats from flaked barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I managed to put the bags right next to each other. And although they're marked, I worry I screwed up. Is there any good way to tell which is which for sure before I end up tossing 1.5 lb of flaked barley in to my nut brown?

Yea, they taste different, but it's hard for to tell. I still think they're marked correctly. I guess I'm wondering if there's a visual way to tell. One bag is slightly darker than the other.

I would think the barley would be the darker but only can't say with certainty. If you have some Quaker Oats in the house taste those and compare.

I'm at work now, but from recollection they were the same size. I'll let the wife taste them and see what she thinks. She's an oat person, so you'd think she would know.

I like Oatmeal and can smell the diff when cooked...never tasted the flaked barley when I've brewed with it though. Maybe cook a tiny, tiny bit of each in the microwave and let the wife whiff.

Back