Tell me if my plan will work or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
This is my plan for my first all-grain batch, I just want to try a gallon.

Boil Hops + Spices
Cool Water to about 153F.
Adjust pH to 5.3
Steep 3.5 pounds of Belgian 2-Row Pilsener, keeping temp and pH constant.
Cool, strain to fermenter, throw in yeast.

Will that work?

no, you have to mash first, and then bring your wort to a boil. It has to do with denaturing enzymes, the hotbreak, cold break, etc.

so, mash your grains at 153 in 1 1/4 gallon water (1.20 quarts/ per pound of grain) for an hour. Then, sparge (rinse the grains) with 170 degree water, to get your boil volume. Bring that to a boil and after the hot break, start your hops additions.

I wouldn't even worry about the ph or things now. That shouldn't really matter than much.

Ok, so

Steep Grains at correct temp and pH
Bring to boil
Add hops and spices at specified times
Ice Bath
Strain into fermenter
Throw in yeast

Is that right?

Another option is to try a partial mash recipe. There's some PM recipes in the recipe database, and it's a good way to practice full all grain brewing.

and honestly, I wouldn't go through the effort of All Grain for 1 gallon of brew.

I've done it for a 3 gallon batch cuz at least that's a case of beer (case + a 6 pack in fact)

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm not trying to discourage you here, but it seems that you could benefit from a bit more reading and research. All grain brewing is not rocket science, regardless of what others may say, so I encourage you to carry out your small scale experiment. You have the basics correct. Here are a few links that may be helpful:

www.howtobrew.com - read chapter 3

A short video showing an all grain brew in action

My series of videos on all grain brewing

Strongly recommend reading and watching these links. It will clear up a lot of confusion and make sure you get something drinkable for your time and money.

Back