Tell me how bad i messed this up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
So i just did my first all grain batch with a cooler mash tun - it was about a 7 hour process cause i basically wasn't prepared for all the problems that happened. So here's the biggest: After 2 sparges i collected and measured my gravity, it was right around 1.040 (supposed to be 1.057) so to fix this efficiency problem i figured i could do one more sparge and collect some more sugars. After doing so i had about 29 quarts (my batch size is supposed to be 5 gallons) and decided to boil the wort down to about 24 quarts before starting my actual 60 minute boil. It took a good hour and 20 minutes to boil down to the level i desired. Did this screw up my beer??? - the boil was close to 2.5 hours long...

You'll probably have a slightly darker colored beer and a little more residual sweetness from caramelization, but it won't hurt anything, it'll just make it a little different.

Back