Tell me about your pipeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
I want to build up my pipeline and would like to hear what you guys and girls have coming up.

I want to know what beers are great 3,4,5, and even 6 months past brew date.

Cheers!

I'd love to help you out, but it's been a year and I still don't have a proper pipeline! Unless I count the coffee stout I don't care for. There's a dozen in my closet, but I bought a few beers today.

Pales and Wheats I keep one of each on tap with one of each in storage. Ipa, Amber, Rye IPA I keep 2 of each in storage with at least one of those on tap. I have a kegerator that holds four on tap with four in storage plus a chest cooler for long term and for darker beers and Barleywines that holds an additional 10 kegs.

I have irish red, a couple of creams, a couple of moose drool clones, a couple of porters. All told 12 or 14 cases worth ready to drink.

May not be a very large pipe line but it is months of drinking for me

Meh, not much of a pipeline, here. I have a Belgian golden strong bulk aging right now, but it'll be several months before it's ready. I do have a Yorkshire brown ale coming up (maybe next weekend).

As for beers that are good months later?

My imperial nut brown ale has really just come into its own. I bottled it at the end of January 2012.

I have a Belgian blonde ale (Revvy's Leffe clone) that I have just a handful of bottles left. Drank one a couple nights ago, and it was superb (and as clear as any commercial lager)... bottled it on April 28, 2012.

Heck, I have a regular brown ale (my first Yorkshire brown) that I brewed in January 2012, and it's as tasty as it's ever been.

If your beer relies on hop aroma, long term storage won't help it. Wheat beers don't age well, to my knowlege.

Malt forward beers, high ABV beers, can age a VERY long time and still be great - provided that your sanitation was solid, and you didn't oxidize the beer.

I have about 3 cases of finished ready to drink beer that includes a variety of 5-6 recent batches (I bottle), then I have 1 case of IPA that is still warm conditioning in the bottle, then I have 5 gals of Pale ready to be bottled plus 5 gals of new IPA that I brewed yesterday plus I have plans to brew a batch of Robust porter next weekend. I like to keep a loooong pipeline.

On tap is Mac & Jack, nut brown, smoked pale ale and a black IPA. Comin up is Jamil's evil twin, a Kolsch, Ragin red and a amber ale.

I finally have a stock of beer! I am just finishing up a mock schwarzbeir that was ok. I just put 5 gallon as each of a pale mild and Kolsch in the fridge and cellar. Need a little more time to conditioning. That's about 100 bottles. Just bottled up 50 some bottles of IPA on Friday. Also, brew 10 gallons of a Belgian pale ale yesterday (might give away half if its accepted in a brewers dinner). So, I've got about a dozen drinkable bottles, 100 just getting cold and ready, 50 ready in 3 weeks, and maybe another 100 ready in 6 weeks. Good to go for awhile. Also planning to brew a 5 gallon batch mid march. Bottling that much beer sucks!

Have about 10 bottles of a Pale Ale left, brewed last May. 40 bottles of Frank's Fishier Amber brewed in lat Jan. Currently conditioning a California Lager won't be ready till late May. Just brewed today a Speckled Heifer 5 Gal. As far as storing a beer for 6 months look into a Porter or a Stout. That's my next brew.

Recently kicked -
Pilsner
Oktoberfest
Blonde
American Pale Ale
Amber Ale
British Mild
British Bitter

On Tap/bottled/Drinking -
Amber Ale
IPA
Southern English Brown
American Pale Ale
Dortmunder Export
Barley Wine
Bourbon Barrel Porter

Kegs on Deck - ready soon
American Brown
Belgian Golden
Irish Whiskey Red Ale

Fermenting
British Mild
Amber
IPA
Helles

Long term aging
Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Sour Belgian Cherry
Barley Wine

Thinking ahead: Pilsner, maibock, British Bitter, bourbon porter, another sour........

I would say I keep american Amber, Pale Ale/IPA, British Dark Mild and some sort of lager (helles/pilsner/oktoberfest, etc.) in a very steady rotation and then mix in the others as I see fit.

3-6 month beers - lagers, big porters/stouts, some belgians,etc.

6 months + sours, barleywines, some belgians, BIG beers

Mine just barely came online a month or so ago... my mistake was after my first 3 batches I got way too ambitious and did 3 back to back big beers that had my carboys tied up... after a month or so I had to go out and buy 2 more carboys so I could do a couple quick turn around beers

I just started up again brewing in earnest in January. I have 10 gallons of graff, 10 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde and 5 gallons of Orange honey American Wheat. One thing I noticed that I really didn't know before was that FOR ME, the longer I wait, the better it tastes. I had made a plain jane extract and got busy with life and left it in the fermenter for 3 months before I bottled it. It was by far the best beer I had ever brewed! This has convinced me to wait at least 2 months on all of my beer. I have better temp control now, and that may be an important factor as well.

I plan to bottle a few cases of each, but have a 4 keg draft system nearly up and running.

My next beer in a couple of weeks will be a milk (lactose) chocolate porter, 5 gallons.

I think it is time for me to have a party.

Here is a pic of my cellar. It is hard to see but there are 7 cases of bombers behind the regular cases. The bombers are all Belgians and Saisons that are in various stages of aging. Some are over 2 years old. The cases in the front are an assortment of IPA's, wheat, Amber ales, a porter and some cider. I also have 4 kegs full and a few cases upstairs in a spare bedroom carbing up where it is warmer.

pipeline.jpg

I think it is time for me to have a party.

Here is a pic of my cellar. It is hard to see but there are 7 cases of bombers behind the regular cases. The bombers are all Belgians and Saisons that are in various stages of aging. Some are over 2 years old. The cases in the front are an assortment of IPA's, wheat, Amber ales, a porter and some cider. I also have 4 kegs full and a few cases upstairs in a spare bedroom carbing up where it is warmer.

So what time tonight? 7ish?

My signature shows my pipeline.

Plan on doing a summer ale and experimenting with some fall / winter seasonal beers. I know, it a bit early but one of my favorite beer drinking seasons.

the best thing i ever did for my pipeline was brewing 5 beers in 4 weeks. some were split batches, some were small batches. some were to be enjoyed pretty much right away, others could handle a bit of age.

after that, i was able to go down to once a month or so and still have a decent variety most of the time.

It's more like a soda straw than a pipeline.
  • A few maple ales still left.
  • Edmund Fitgerald porter clone is bottle conditioning
  • Low ABV brown ready for bottling.
  • Aromatic amber ale in the fermenter.
Hey, that's not too bad after all.

Just killed a few kegs, and now I have just our Belgian Rye and Sticke Altbier on tap, with a keg of honey blonde conditioning. A Belma Pale Ale is dry hopping as we speak and will probably get kegged today. After that we've got two IIPAs to brew and then probably ESB and ordinary bitter. In secondary we have a 21% blackberry/cherry melomel that should be ready around Christmas (~2yo).

It's helped for us to brew (nearly) every Sunday. If we're not kicking kegs fast enough, then it's time to do a lager or big beer that will get a couple months to come into it's sweet spot.

Or we'll do a smaller batch. For example, a simple dry stout for St. Paddy's Day -- it's not something I want to drink every day, but 3-4 gallons for a party? Absolutely.

Heres my pipeline, I have a year old Barleywine that has aged quite nicely. It has really smoothed out, and isnt quite as harsh as it was when it was fresh. Still got some hoppyness to it, but they are fading. Everything else I have done I have wished I would have finished it while it was still in its prime. (Pale Ales, Bitters, Scottish 60, wheat, amber, Stouts). I think the alcohol really helps. I would definitely reccomend over hopping if you want any hops to come through in years to come. I felt my barelywine was way overboard on hops a year ago, but like I said it has aged well.

Something that I would try if I had a kegging system would be this tasty mcdole trick I heard on the BN. He makes a really big beer, then waters it down with carbonated water if he wants. The example he had was taking a growler out to a golf outting. Sounded pretty slick, and would probably age better the 10% beer probably ages a heck of a lot better than the 3% beer. Just an Idea.

KGlnHBRl-cE_Ces4WoGt_tA855K9I_dO-95irurJAro

For what it's worth the Belgian white I make can be brewed, in a primary for 2+ weeks, then in a bottle for 10 days and it's ready to drink. It's a good beer and can be brewed an drank fully carbed within 4 weeks. As you can see from my sig I have several brews and brew about 3 times if not 2 times a month. This Belgian can be made for about $25 total and if ya like a belgian white it's awesome.

Outside of the white I do mostly ales and all others are usually 6 weeks from brew to belly if I get lucky.

As others mentioned Big beers will go a few months for sure. Belgian Tripel is 2 months old this week and finally going to bottle by this weekend.

I have my IPA and an Amber Ale (which came out way dark) on tap and everything I need to brew a pale ale. I only have room for 1 carboy in my ferm chamber so that limits me and I am the only one that drinks my homebrew on a regular basis so it takes a while for me to get through 5g unless I through a party.

I have some ipa left, a dipa ready to be kegged, a braggot ready to be kegged, an American barleywine in bottles, and a stout ready to be bottled.

I'm going to fill my fermentrrs with a imperial black rye ipa, a moosedrool clone, apfelwein, and an allagash curiex clone.

Something that I would try if I had a kegging system would be this tasty mcdole trick I heard on the BN. He makes a really big beer, then waters it down with carbonated water if he wants. The example he had was taking a growler out to a golf outting. Sounded pretty slick, and would probably age better the 10% beer probably ages a heck of a lot better than the 3% beer. Just an Idea.

I looked over BN and couldn't find this. You wouldn't happen to have a link handy would you?

I run 3 taps on my kegerator. Here's my pipeline at the moment:
5gal Sculpin IPA clone
5gal Good morning! Coffee Vanilla Porter
5gal Mild Apocalypse
5gal Grommet CAP
10gal Pugachev's Rebellious RIS
5gal Oaked English Old Ale
4gal Tart Cherry Farmhouse Braggot
3gal Brett APA

Kinda nervous, though, b/c the old ale, at least 5gal of the RIS, and the Braggot are all headed for NHC.

In the next two months, therefore:
10gal BM Centennial Blonde
10gal Spring Citrus Saison
10gal Calypso Triple
3gal experiment--oat wine
10gal Herb Single (5 each Rosemary & Basil)

5gal each going to Philly also, but that should keep me in beer for a bit! I'll knock out the 3 more beers (Imperial Red, Black IPA, and Pale Mild) in May so they're fresh for NHC Club Night & Hospitality Suite.

The Tripel & Oat Wine should age nicely for 3-4 months.

I looked over BN and couldn't find this. You wouldn't happen to have a link handy would you?

I found a post by tasymcd over at the morebeer forums that has a description and a link to the episode. These are gems that you find by listening to many many BN shows. Tasty definitely likes to drop these little gems at random. Enjoy this bit of wisdom, its one of many reasons I want a kegerator.

http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39404

Re: Making Light Beer=Lager or Ale
by TastyMcD » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Once a year I make a high gravity beer intended for dilution. Why? Because I need more light beer in the summer time and I can make 20 gallons of beer in the time and space it would normally take to make 10 gallons. I've only done this with lagers because I feel that the ester profiles of higher gravity ales wouldn't work that well.
I make 10 gallons of 8% Bohemian Pilsner with a neutral lager yeast (WLP833). As it nears the end of fermentation, I boil, chill, and carbonate 10 gallons of my normal brewing water (minerals added). Once the 8% beer is ready for consumption, I typically take 5 gallons and do a 50/50 blend to make 10 gallons at 4% that gets poured through my 35F kegerator. The other 5 I blend as needed depending on the occasion. I've made 3.2% beer for golf outings, and 6% beer for parties.

You can hear me talk about this on The Brewing Network "Brew Strong" show: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/667o

Tasty

TastyMcD
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Is your oat wine 100% oat? I just heard about this style on brew bubbas radio last week. It would be interesting to hear how that turns out.

I'll make sure to post here when I make it--it's new to me. I got it from Zymurgy article about "brewing on the 1s". I think it's 12# English 2-row & 3.5# Oats. Making it in honor of my best man.

Aging:
10 gal Apfelwein in kegs
~8 gal Belgian golden strong in a barrel (part of. Club barrel-aging project

Fermenting:
10 gallons Patersbier

On tap:
~1-2 gal Apfelwein
~4 gal session red ale
5 gal Vienna Rya Cali lager
5 gal imperial milk stout
10 gal extra pale ale (5 on tap, 5 on deck)

I have a smoked porter that is almost bottled for 3 months now, it gets better and better. Have a brown ale that will be coming of age shortly in the bottles about 3 weeks. Going to do 1 more cold weather brew soon, maybe an oatmeal stout, then go for a belgian during the warmer summer fermenting months.

I wish i had a pipeline.. as u will see in my sig.. i "have" one but i think its sh*t.. no matter what i do i cant keep up.. i brewed 5 times last month and just typed the last of that keg.. 6 tap kegerator.. 10+ fermenters, cases and cases of bottles plus 5 extra kegs(11 total.. need more i know)... but i just cant seem to keep up..

a lot probably has to do with me being in the middle of upgrading from a 10gal igloo setup to 15gal keggles.. (so i cant brew right now). but i should get those back from the welder tomorrow. That will make it easier to brew up the 20ish planned brews with the 9lbs hops i just got in the mail!

I have 17 fermenters. Generally 10 to 13 are rotated for sour aging. The rest go back and forth between "cleanish" saisons, IPAs, or other quick turn around whims.

Bottled:

-oatmeal stout
-rye pa
-American wheat
-nut brown ale
-pale ale
-Raspberry wheat

Kegged:
-maple amber ale
-brown ale (made with all German malt and English yeast. Came out really nice)

Fermenting:
-Dunkelweizen
- Black iipa
-1 g maple syrup experiment

Soon to come:
- two identical batches of saison one with 3711, one with ommegangs house yeast I just harvested.
-barley wine

I like to have a decent variety on hand so i rarely keep similar batches in the line up.

Back