Tell me about British Milds ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
These have me intrigued!

Who has brewed them - are they really that fast - brew to drink??

From what I read they are flavorful, balanced with low low alcohol and can not be found in the States!

I absolutely love Milds! My first try was Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale and it got me totally hooked. I've since bought some books with information on Milds and I've even made some historical style recipes (some aren't so good :D). If you want a great place to start you absolutely want to start with Orfy's recipe.

Aside from Orfy's original recipe I also found that I really liked that recipe subbed out with Crystal 80L instead of 60L. But 120L was WAY too much and I ended up blending it with an Ordinary Bitter (which was actually an excellent blend).

I have to say that I'm hooked as well. I have one on tap right now and I can't get enough of it.

I was raised on the stuff.

Used to go the pub with my Dad and Granddad on a Sunday afternoon whilst my mum cooked a roast dinner and my Nan got drunk on Sherry.

My Granddad is no longer with us.
My Nan is now nearly 90 and still gets Drunk on sherry.
I now cook my Mum Sunday lunch.

And my Dad comes round here to Drink MY Mild. :D

TOP TIP : MASH HIGH GO DARK

...TOP TIP : MASH HIGH GO DARK
+1, the pale Milds I've made (at session strength) have basically been ordinary bitters without the extra bit of hop character. There's certainly nothing wrong with that but Milds really seem to shine when they have a roasted quality to them.

I brewed a mild a couple months ago using Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I have very much enjoyed the beer. It has probably been my fastest beer to date. If you use WLP002 or another similar yeast you can pretty much ferment out the beer in a week (WLP002 floculates very well). Crash cool and keg at a cold temperature. At the colder temperatures you are already holding enough CO2 for the style (around 1.5 volumes). Let the keg warm to serving pressure under a small amount of pressure and it is ready to drink. I had a pint on day 6 and it was great, it has gotten better with time, but I would not have hesitated to serve to friends on day 6.

I recommend the Classic Beer Style Series "Mild Ale" by David Sutula. I did the Maclay's 56 last year & it was quite nice. Only six recipes though, all clones of commercial milds or historical ales. But a great deal of information on how they've varied over the years.

I recommend the Classic Beer Style Series "Mild Ale" by David Sutula. I did the Maclay's 56 last year & it was quite nice. Only six recipes though, all clones of commercial milds or historical ales. But a great deal of information on how they've varied over the years.
+1 that's a great book. I like the KMS Dark Mild - it's got a very light mouthfeel but hits you with a ton of flavour. Excellent session beer at 1.036. If you're looking to follow the BJCP guidelines for Mild Ale though I wouldn't go with the Maclays 56. :D

I was thinking of brewing orfy's mild this weekend ( extract 5 gal ) and I see that this style should be carbed a little less than some others. If I'm bottling instead of kegging how much priming sugar should I use. Also is the three week conditioning rule still in effect. Thanks in advance for helping out a novice.

I was thinking of brewing orfy's mild this weekend ( extract 5 gal ) and I see that this style should be carbed a little less than some others. If I'm bottling instead of kegging how much priming sugar should I use. Also is the three week conditioning rule still in effect. Thanks in advance for helping out a novice.
The 3 week rule pretty much always applies when bottling. That's just how long it takes for the yeast to do their thing. As for the amount of priming sugar, when I bottle my milds I use about 60G for carbing 21L of beer at 74F, that gets me about 1.5 volumes.

on a Sunday afternoon whilst my mum cooked a roast dinner

With Yorkshire pudding??? *Makes Homer Simpson drool sound*

I brew Ordinary Bitters pretty standard on a rotation, but I've brewed one Mild and I can say that it was best about 6 weeks from brew day (including bottle carbonation). I used some Lyle's Treacle in the recipe and I have to say I can just get a hint of it in the beer and it's good.

I had to chime in again. I saw this in the new posts while I was debating what beer to have next and you made the decision for me. :mug:

:off:
If you make Mild you have to do a Sunday Roast.

roastdinner.jpg

Aside from Orfy's original recipe I also found that I really liked that recipe subbed out with Crystal 80L instead of 60L. But 120L was WAY too much and I ended up blending it with an Ordinary Bitter (which was actually an excellent blend).

That reminds me. When I was a kid before mild completely disappeared from the south, it was a common thing for older folk to mix Mild half and half with just about any other style of English ale going. I was too young and busy being young and drinking cheap crap to try it myself. I missed an opportunity there!

Well you still get people ordering a "Golden" "A mix" and a "half 'n' half"

I think???

Golden is Lager and Bitter
Mix is Guinness and Bitter
Half n half is Mild and Bitter

I stand to be corrected though because they are made from tap beers and I don't do tap beers. I may have them mixed up. I'm pretty sure they change by location.

Well if you know the history of mild it was normal for it to be mixed because it was a green beer.

In many establishments it was mixed with the slops!
Some of the more ruthless places just sold the Slops instead of mild.
That has not (or shouldn't of) happened for many years now.
But I believe it is still legal to return some beer to the keg for reserving!

For those who have not read up on the history of mild it is very interesting.
A little bit here (not to in depth) http://www.allaboutbeer.com/features/mild.html

Well if you know the history of mild it was normal for it to be mixed because it was a green beer.

In many establishments it was mixed with the slops!
Some of the more ruthless places just sold the Slops instead of mild.
That has not (or shouldn't of) happened for many years now.
But I believe it is still legal to return some beer to the keg for reserving!

For those who have not read up on the history of mild it is very interesting.
A little bit here (not too in depth) All About Beer Feature: Vanishing Mild

Now that is some interesting history perfect for this thread!! .......But I think I've just gone off Mild a bit now after reading that! ;)

Back