Teflon tape?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I just built my first kegerator and put my kegging kit together for the first time. Very excited! I did, however, run into a few road-blocks I could use some advice about:

First off, the connection between my gas line and my gas-in post was pretty leaky and, no matter how tight I tried to get the clamp, it wouldn't stop leaking. I ended up fixing the problem by threading teflon tape (plumber's tape) around the barbs of the gas-in post to make it a little larger, and it seems to have done the trick. Does anybody know of a drawback to trying this?

Second, the kit failed to include an o-ring to put between the beer-out post and the beer-line. I'm planning to make a run to the LHBS eventually but, does anyone have any experience using teflon tape in lieu of an o-ring? I know Jamil has urged us not to use the rounded o-rings that usually come with the kegging kits, so might that be a viable alternative?

Finally, getting the posts onto the keg was a PITA - I ended up banging them both into place with the handle of a screwdriver. (I didn't confuse the in/out posts.) Is it supposed to be that difficult? If not, is there a trick to it? And, regardless, how can I get them off for cleaning???

Thanks!

First off, that shouldn't cause any problem. It's strange that the thing was leaky though. Sounds like your gas line was too large in diameter for the barn on the connector. I'd check it well for leaks and probably replace the line with something smaller.

Second, why in the hell would Jamil suggest not using the o-rings? These kegs are designed by engineers, and the o-ring has been spec'ed out to do the job The Right Way. I must be missing something.

Finally, no... it shouldn't be that hard to put the posts on the kegs. You are talking about the actual metal posts that screw onto the keg, right? I am curious how you banged them on with a screwdriver since they screw on.

Walker:

First off: Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Second: Sorry, I wasn't clear. Jamil said that the O-rings that come with the kit are usually rounded, and that using them requires you to tighten the line more than is good for it. Eventually this will (he says) strip the threads and require new fittings.

Instead, he suggests using the o-rings that were in fact designed for the kegs. Their edges are flat instead of rounded, and can be finger-tightened. Apparently they're harder to find, but some LHBS have started carrying them.

Finally: No, not the metal posts. . . I might be using the wrong term. I'm talking about the black/white valves that attach to the beer and gas tubes. The beer-out one has a threaded end to attach to the beer line, and the gas-in one has a barb to attach to the gas line. They were tough to get on; it didn't take a hammer, but I definitely had to push hard on both.

Yeah... I think your terminology had me confused on several things, and probably has you a little confused, too.

beer/gas lines connect to the QDs (quick disconnects) - these are the black and grey things that you pop on and off the keg with your hand.

QD snaps onto the keg's posts. there are o-rings on the posts so that the QDs get good seals.

If you were to unscrew the posts from the keg, you would find dip tubes inserted through holes in the keg. The dip tubes have an o-ring around them, sandwiching the rings between the flared end of the dip tubes and the body of the keg.

I think Jamil is talking about the o-rings that are on the dip tubes, and not the o-rings that are on the posts.

Gotcha. Here's my dilemma then:

(1) The quick disconnects are stuck on pretty good. Should I be able to pull them off with my hands, or do I need a tool to get them off?

(2) I have o-rings for the posts and the dip-tubes, but am missing an o-ring that should be seated in the threaded connection between the QD and the beer-line. Will teflon tape between the QD and the beer-line cause off-flavors or other problems?

the QDs should go on and off pretty easily. No tools required other than one hand.

There are no o-rings that go between the QD and the beer line. Wrap the threads of the QD in teflon tape and screw the swivel nut for your beer line onto it.

Back