Teflon Tape on Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merse24

Reaction score
I had a small leak on my keg and was curious why my pressure regulator wasn't keeping the pressure up. So I went to the instructions thinking that I missed something. I stumbled across something interesting...

In all caps, in the section where it talks about attaching the regulator to the CO2 tank, it states "DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE". Most of what I read on the internet, people actually use teflon on this connection. Is there a concern that teflon could actually be the cause of a leak on this specific connection?

I use the Fermentap Dual Gauge CO2 Regulator.

For what it's worth, I ended up finding the leak using a Star San solution on a different connection. Despite the warning teflon tape is still in place on ALL of my threaded connections.

Teflon tape should only be used on tapered threads, they seal on the threads. Straight threads seal on the face of the fitting, either with a gasket or direct surface contact. Tape on straight threads may do no harm, but most of the time it keeps the fitting from seating fully.

I have heard many times on jobsites from plumbers and pipe fitters that teflon tape is NOT a sealant but rather a lubricant that allows you to tighten whatever threaded fittings to the proper torque without the metal heating up and binding.

I have heard many times on jobsites from plumbers and pipe fitters that teflon tape is NOT a sealant but rather a lubricant that allows you to tighten whatever threaded fittings to the proper torque without the metal heating up and binding.

Yes and no. Lol! It does help seal threads. It also helps to prevent galling.

OP:

You shouldn't have to tape the threads for the connection to the tank. There's either a built in gasket on the co2 regulator, or you need to install a hard plastic washer between. Oxygen and nitrogen are different connections, and they don't need tape either. It probably won't hurt, but it really won't help either...

Thanks for the knowledge!

Next time I change out the bottle, I'll make sure to remove the tape. Seems like there is nothing to gain by having it on that connection and it carries a small amount of risk.

Back